Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 05:12 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times

Advertisements

I have a reglazed tub and only use it for showers, so I just wipe the tub and tile surround down with a towel after I'm finished showering. Both are as clean after 5 years as the day I bought the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 11:22 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Best for tub cleaning, use a squeegee at every use to dry the walls.

Do not use bar soap. Use the liquid soap and a wash cloth. That does not give a soap scum build-up like the bar soap does. As for the surface of the tub, follow the manufacturer's recommendations and also pull the tub mat up and let it air dry instead of leaving it to sit on the bottom of the tub, which might grow mold or mildew.

Always run the exhaust fan and let it run for 15-20 minutes or so after the water is drained to take excess moisture out of the air. That is to prevent mold and mildew.

Clean-up is easiest if you prevent the need instead of waiting and doing after it builds up to the point that it is visible.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:18 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So your "method" would have you wading around in the stuff in bare feet?
Why would i wade? I just put some in the tub every 6 months and use my foot with a rag and clean.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:23 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
I gave up on harsh chemicals and use a steam cleaner almost exclusively. Cleaned, sanitized, and no more breathing chemicals. If I let any grime buildup, I just use a bit of Comet cleanser, which is pretty mild.

Good ones are expensive, however. I can't vouch for cheaper ones. Mines is below, about $1,000.

White Wing Steam cleaner

https://www.allergybuyersclub.com/us...-cleaners.html

I do not know how safe the heat is on fiberglass, but you don't need much if you don't let the grime build up. You are starting from scratch and shouldn't have any problem keeping it new looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJ6QqmXqRU

Old 08-10-2023, 05:45 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Why would i wade? I just put some in the tub every 6 months and use my foot with a rag and clean.
But what you referred to as "hardcore acid" would still come in contact with the skin on your feet, right? Doesn't sound like a great idea unless you wear boots.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:53 AM

30,443 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But what you referred to as "hardcore acid" would still come in contact with the skin on your feet, right? Doesn't sound like a great idea unless you wear boots.
Never seems to bother my feet.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I gave up on harsh chemicals and use a steam cleaner almost exclusively. Cleaned, sanitized, and no more breathing chemicals. If I let any grime buildup, I just use a bit of Comet cleanser, which is pretty mild.

Good ones are expensive, however. I can't vouch for cheaper ones. Mines is below, about $1,000.

I do not know how safe the heat is on fiberglass, but you don't need much if you don't let the grime build up. You are starting from scratch and shouldn't have any problem keeping it new looking.
I'll second that recommendation for steam cleaners. The steam can get in areas where there are cracks or crevices (bottom side of a shower door, slides, drain parts, etc.) that are near impossible to properly clean otherwise. I've not found them as useful in large areas where the potency of the steam is dissipated.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:57 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
We use The Pink Stuff:
https://a.co/d/ck20bBU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House