Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2023, 07:56 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

A brief explanation of the problem;

My bathroom originally had corrugated-pipes for the plumbing. This was replaced with PVC-pipes, which seem to work mostly fine, the install looks like it was done in a fairly competent manner, I notice no leaks or other problems (except for!).

OK, now to the bad part. When the PVC was installed, they did not install a vent-line. So basically, the original corrugated drain/vent that resides in the wall, was replaced with PVC drain-lines, but no venting/vent-line was installed. Yes, now I have burping and smelliness. The bathroom plumbing is relying solely on the main sewer-vent for any venting it gets.........and that vent is about 15-feet away and just does not do a good enough job.

I opened the cap on the old drain/vent with the intent to tap into that vent to resolve the problem. I tested it several times by holding a smoldering paper-towel up to the vent, I cannot seem to get the vent to pull smoke. I ran a metal-tape through the roof and at the vent-entrance under the sink, I pushed until I hit what I think was the end of the pipe....I do not think I was hitting a blockage. Still, the plumbing-vent will not pull smoke.

The questions:
1. what am I doing wrong?
2. how do I get a working vent if I cannot get the
original working?
3. any ideas/theories on what is going on with
the original drain/vent line in the wall that I cannot
get to pull smoke?
4. any suggestions welcome.

PS: I could install an air-admittance-valve, but I assume this would only help with the burping.
I need the system to vent more gas, it is obviously suboptimal to have this much gas exiting via the drain-lines or just sitting in the lines.

Thanks in advance, Tickyul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 09:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
My bathroom originally had corrugated-pipes for the plumbing.
When the PVC was installed, they did not install a vent-line.
1. what am I doing wrong?
#1 is however you selected "they" to do this work.
You need to start over with an actually qualified plumber.
The rest of your questions are AT BEST about having data to evaluate what that plumber says is needed.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
#1 is however you selected "they" to do this work.
You need to start over with an actually qualified plumber.
The rest of your questions are AT BEST about having data to evaluate what that plumber says is needed.
Nope, I am going to remedy the problem myself, that is why I started this thread.

Helpful comments on the subject would be excellent!

Old 08-08-2023, 11:21 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I’ll assume you’re getting access from a crawl or basement-
And you can actually see the vent that was originally attached to the toilet drain line?

If so, have you tried to snake it from the crawl/basement? Going up will keep the snake following the path to the roof exit. When going down there can be branches that go to sink and probably the tub.

If you still can’t get a clear path- an AAV is the most logical next step. Otherwise, you’ll be opening walls to run a new vent line. I wouldn’t worry so much about any residual gas- the DWV is not a pressure system- it will eventually find its way to the other stack.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I’ll assume you’re getting access from a crawl or basement-
And you can actually see the vent that was originally attached to the toilet drain line?

If so, have you tried to snake it from the crawl/basement? Going up will keep the snake following the path to the roof exit. When going down there can be branches that go to sink and probably the tub.

If you still can’t get a clear path- an AAV is the most logical next step. Otherwise, you’ll be opening walls to run a new vent line. I wouldn’t worry so much about any residual gas- the DWV is not a pressure system- it will eventually find its way to the other stack.

Thanks much for the info.

The original, corrugated drain/vent is in the wall. Also, I go outside and the roof-vent is nearly
in-line with where the drain-vent connection coming out of the wall is......so I am assuming the outside roof-vent is there for the in-wall drain-vent connection in the bathroom.

The drain-vent connection in the wall does not go straight up for the vent, or straight down for the drain.....it immediately goes to the left.

Currently, the toilet is wet-vented and I believe that is the way it was built. The problem is, the run is much longer to the vent than what it would have been when originally built.

No, I have not gone into the crawlspace to try and snake things out......I just may have to do that. The horizontal branch from the wall connection to the vent-pipe going upwards must be clogged, I went way past the intersect point from the roof, so the vertical-run must be clear.

Going into the wall, yeah, I think I will go with the AAV and see how that works before I mess with opening walls. I did check the other stack, it is in good repair and clear.

Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:24 PM

One other detail...
Never heard of using "corrugated" pipe for DWV. Sure it's not "case iron" or ABS?

Old 08-08-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
One other detail...
Never heard of using "corrugated" pipe for DWV. Sure it's not "case iron" or ABS?
Good catch, yeah I should have said galvanized/metal, my goof.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:03 PM

OK, a little more info for this thread, maybe it will make things a little clearer.

The setup I have for the toilet drain-waste-vent may be a little less common than the normal toilet-stack

The toilet drain-waste pipe does not include a vent-riser installed above it. The toilet-vent-stack is actually down the waste-line, about 4-feet from the toilet drain-waste pipe. Is this a common setup, it seems suboptimal for venting gas because it has to travel through water to do so?

So I will get on the roof and make sure this toilet-vent is clear. I already checked the other vent for the sink and it is currently not working.

The shower and sink drain great, but the burping in the toilet might be a clogged toilet-vent?????

Old 08-10-2023, 08:00 PM

UPC code is up to 6’- toilet flange to vent.
So, I’d say you’re good… if it’s working!

Old 08-11-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
UPC code is up to 6’- toilet flange to vent.
So, I’d say you’re good… if it’s working!
Thanks for that info..........I guess I will check the roof-vent for the toilet to make sure
it is clear and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House