Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 05:11 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Yup.

Has anyone addressed how they are getting into the house? How old is this home? Old homes have a lot of "holes", and you need a professional to seem them out, plug them, etc
This. The outdoors surrounding the house will just replace what you trap/kill OP if you don't plug points of entry. Rodents don't just come inside for food (you should be storing it correctly anyway). They're also seeking shelter, warmth, and water.

If you don't take this vital step, getting the upper hand on your rodent problem will be Sisyphean labor. You need someone who will search crawlspaces, attic, and basement for entry points, and also close up penetrations in walls and floors created by plumbing, electrical, or communication cable runs. Rodent chew-resistant foam, steel wool, caulk, etc. around those internal points of entry. You may only need to do that once. In one older house I owned, I could trap half a dozen mice/voles every night during autumn when everything was searching for warm winter nests. After a handyman and I searched top to bottom with cans of expanding foam, wads of steel mesh and caulk, the number dropped to one every few weeks. It made a huge difference!

Or not. Your Orkin man will thank you for providing job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 06:59 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
I would check for entry-points again, very thoroughly......and also check the points sealed with foam, mice can and do chew through it.

You want to permanently seal rodent entry-points, use strong mortar with
stainless-steel-mesh embedded in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House