Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 08:42 AM

1,353 posts, read 788,625 times

Advertisements

It does open/close, when I use the wall switch, but I must push the button and hold, until it opens.
When I use any of my car garage door openers, it does not open, or close. However, it does jerk once and the lights blink several times.
YouTube does not list this kind of problems...

Last edited by Maple47; 08-20-2023 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Clarification of the question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 08:55 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Since the opener will open the door- that rules out a broken spring.
And since it will also close- that kinda rules out mis-aligned safety eyes.

So, that pretty much leaves the logic board (electronic circuit board)- boards going bad is rather common issue; and an easy repair for someone with good DIY capabilities.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:57 AM

5,981 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
It does open/close, when I use the wall switch, but I must push the button and hold, until it opens.
When I use any of my car garage door openers, it does not open, or close. However, it does jerk!
YouTube does not list this kind of problems...
Check the alignment of the two little "electric eye" sensors. There is one near the bottom of each rail. The light on each sensor should be steady "ON", i.e. not blinking. If one of the lights is blinking then the sensors are not in alignment and it won't let the door go down.

Also, there is a limit switch (I think that's what it's called) on the main rail where the belt or chain runs. Sometimes this switch becomes loose and out of adjustment and that affects the operation of the door.

I'm not a pro on garage door openers, but these are some things I would check on. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:30 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,149 times
Did you check the batteries in your openers ?

Old 08-20-2023, 09:47 AM

The manual reads:"If your model has the Lock feature, make sure it is off."
However, where do I find this feature? No information.
Does anybody know?

Old 08-20-2023, 09:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
I had a garage door that wouldl open partially and then close, or close partially, then re-open depending upon it's position when the button or remote is pressed.

BUT, If you hold the wall button down the entire time the door is operating it functions perfectly open to close or close to open.

I aligned the electronic "eyes". The are perfect, I checked the alignment of bar/rail connecting the motor to the door. All fine!

Then I noticed there was a slight worn spot on the left side of the door as it came in contact with the wood frame near the door rail track where it C-curves at the top. I smeared a bit of vaseline on the worn spot and the door functioned just fine. Once I knew what the issue was, (door binding) it was easy to correct. I could adjust the door rails just a tiny bit and the binding problem was solved.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:05 AM

OK, I know the root cause.
If I do not park my Outback deeply enough, the bumper stays on the way of the light beam.
The good thing is the cost of this reair was Zero!

Old 08-20-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The manual reads:"If your model has the Lock feature, make sure it is off."
However, where do I find this feature? No information.
Does anybody know?
On "older" models, the lock switch is a tiny lever located on the control unit on the wall. You can flip the switch to the "Lock" position to stop someone (including YOU) from using a remote to operate the door. It may even stop the control from operating the door.

On newer model controls, you have to cycle through the menu of the control on the wall to find it.

I don't think that is your problem or the door wouldn't work at all.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
If I do not park my Outback deeply enough, the bumper stays on the way of the light beam.
Ah Ha! So it was the light sensors near the bottom of the rail that was the problem! My suggestion is that you need to lower those sensors to a height of about 5" off the floor. A car bumper shouldn't be low enough to block the beam from those sensors.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:50 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Clearly, the sensors ARE NOT IN THE CORRECT POSITION!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House