Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2023, 10:37 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Down here in Dallas, the ground is highly susceptible to instability caused by ground moisture variation. In even a normal summer, people whose houses are on concrete slabs may have to water the foundation through the summer because the concrete edges literally "droop" as much as a few inches as the ground dries and shrinks.

But this summer, it's just crazy. It's not just doors and windows sticking. My fence posts are shifting so much that it's pulled my gates whole inches out of alignment. I had just rebuilt my rear gate earlier this year with a dead-even half-inch space between the gate edge and the mating side, and now the post has tilted so much that the top edge overlaps mating side by another quarter inch at the top. That's a full inch of increased lean just this summer.

My hinged motorized driveway gate has shifted so much that latching is impossible...one side is two inches higher than the other. Same with my neighbor. The neighbor across the street has a sliding gate that he can't close anymore because of the ground shifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
All human built structures deal with this sooner or later. Tower of Pisa in Italy is a famous one, tilted gravestones, etc. It's interesting that you're able to witness this in real time, most things take much more time to settle and shift.

Aquifer and well water pumping in concentrated areas probably factor in.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:15 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The midwest has similar issues. Building on silt and clay has problems. Other than massive deep pilings, **it happens. New York City wouldn't exist if it weren't for the bedrock. Sorry you are having such problems.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Aquifer and well water pumping in concentrated areas probably factor in.
Not in TX. It’s the soil- it’s affectionally called “Black Gumbo”; and it runs from the NE corner, through Dallas, and down to Houston.

One of the reasons why “post-tension cable” slabs are a given along with soaker type irrigation systems to help stabilize the soil in and around the slab. I dealt with it when I first got into construction- along with helping grandfather, when I was a kid, with their house that was pier&beam (a definite no-no today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House