Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 09:46 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,712,668 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this would be the right forum, if not, please move.

OK, so I've noticed two different houses on my street 'tying' their storm doors to a permanent open position--they use a bungee cord, tie one end around the handle, and the other end to the pipes on the side of the house to keep the storm door wide open at all times.

The neighbors next to me had done this when they were initially moving in, and I figured they just did it to make sure the door didn't accidentally close on them while they were moving things into the house, but they've been there for over a year now, and they still have the storm door tied open. I've never seen it shut, even when the weather's pleasant enough that you could turn off the AC and have fresh air flowing through instead.

Another family has moved in to a house further down the street, and I notice they've done the same thing--they've tied the storm door open. And they've now been there about two months.

I don't get why, to be honest--if you don't want a storm door, why not just remove it entirely, instead of this? Anybody see this and know the backstory behind why people do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 11:13 AM

5,971 posts, read 3,715,754 times
It does seem that if they didn't want the storm door there, they would simply remove it from its hinges and store it in the attic. However, people do strange things sometimes.

My guess is that the owners simply don't want to be bothered with two doors when going in or out. This can be a problem especially if the storm door has a strong closing spring/device on it and the person may have their arms loaded down with groceries or carrying a baby or something like that. Again, if that were a frequent problem, I'd simply remove the storm door from its hinges, but that simple act may be too much trouble for some people.

Old 08-27-2023, 11:19 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Introduce yourself and ask them why they do it. Break the conversational ice telling them you're thinking about doing something similar and wanted the benefit of their experience

Old 08-27-2023, 11:27 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I took the door closure off mine. I don’t mind having two doors, I really hate a door that closes automatically. And this one was both too fast and too slow. The reason I didn’t take the whole door off is the way my door was made there is the front door and a space and weatherstripping and stuff for the storm door. It is not wood, it is vinyl and metal. So repairing it would be difficult, and then the door is inset which doesn’t look very nice.

When I lived in California, we had a door very similar to this it was really old and probably had some sort of a screen door in front of it at some point, so we ended up putting in a security door because when we went looking for a screen door we couldn’t find one.

We bought a basic security door, and I used polyester screening material and hot glued it to the door and cut it so it looked like the screen was sort of placed in. It actually looks rather nice. But there was no automatic door closure on that and we just got used to shutting the door. So when I took the door closer off my door everybody kept telling me — well it’s just gonna blow open in the wind and I keep saying why? I close it every single time I use it. It’s a door, you shut it. Not rocket science. Then again maybe it is… if people are bungee-ing the doors open….

Old 08-27-2023, 11:38 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
My guess is that during the Summer, a lot of heat is accumulating/building up between storm door and entry door, if they are facing West and direct sunlight. The increased temperature around the entry door can wreak havoc on the finish.They are trying to minimize it.
Come Winter and they will close the door.

I have storm door, so l know.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:34 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post

The neighbors next to me had done this when they were initially moving in, and I figured they just did it to make sure the door didn't accidentally close on them while they were moving things into the house, but they've been there for over a year now, and they still have the storm door tied open. I've never seen it shut, even when the weather's pleasant enough that you could turn off the AC and have fresh air flowing through instead.
So the screen is in the storm door, as you say air can flow through.
I have never seen that done, and can see no reason as to the 'why'!

Old 08-27-2023, 12:45 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
The house where I live now has a storm door that's tied open most of the time. I always wondered why they kept it, if they didn't want to use it. But this year in late spring and early summer, they did have the front door open, and the storm door closed, to let cool air in. But in the Denver area, there are few days that aren't too cold to have it in place letting the air in, or too hot. This year was exceptional (at least compared to recent years), in that the temps were cool through June into early July, so our storm door was in use. But generally, they're not practical here, for that function.

Another thing storm doors are good for IMO, is to insulate the door in cold weather. Having it closed would help keep the house warm by the little bit of extra insulation they provide around the main door.

But I haven't seen them used that way, either.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:22 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
In the Winter time, wouldn't an outwards swinging storm door be problematic, when it comes to snow/icing?

Since entry doors open "inwards" this could be a reason why the storm door is disabled?

Just guessing here, as I've never ever seen a "storm" door.

But, you should see our storms. Had a hurricane here a week ago. 1.5" of rain and 10-20 mph gusty winds, for 10-20 mins.

Oh, the humanity!

Scary, I tells ya.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:25 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
In the Winter time, wouldn't an outwards swinging storm door be problematic, when it comes to snow/icing?

Since entry doors open "inwards" this could be a reason why the storm door is disabled?

Just guessing here, as I've never ever seen a "storm" door.

But, you should see our storms. Had a hurricane here a week ago. 1.5" of rain and 10-20 mph gusty winds, for 10-20 mins.

Oh, the humanity!

Scary, I tells ya.
Storm door is a light door placed in front of the entry door (outside).
Some are full or half glass.
Storm doors work as a way to protect your entry door from the elements, i.e., rain, ice, or snow. When properly installed, a storm door can add an additional layer of insulation, creating a pocket that keeps warm air in and cold air out.

See here:
https://www.google.com/search?client...ih=746&dpr=3.5

Maybe it could be a problem if you don't have little front porch. But normally, it's not, unless you get really a lot of snow.

If you get strong winds and rain, the storm door protects your front door from those elements.
10-20 mph aren't gusty winds in my area.... and 1.5" of rain it's just a regular rain. lol
Big rain starts from 5"+

BTW:
Not all entry doors open inwards. Not mine...
Mine are "kick resistant"

Example: Florida has one of the most stringent building codes in the US, as all exterior doors must open outward if you live in South Florida. Outward opening doors provide you with an added layer of protection.

Last edited by elnina; 08-27-2023 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2023, 07:16 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Storm door is a light door placed in front of the entry door (outside).
Some are full or half glass.
Storm doors work as a way to protect your entry door from the elements, i.e., rain, ice, or snow. When properly installed, a storm door can add an additional layer of insulation, creating a pocket that keeps warm air in and cold air out.

See here:
https://www.google.com/search?client...ih=746&dpr=3.5

Maybe it could be a problem if you don't have little front porch. But normally, it's not, unless you get really a lot of snow.

If you get strong winds and rain, the storm door protects your front door from those elements.
10-20 mph aren't gusty winds in my area.... and 1.5" of rain it's just a regular rain. lol
Big rain starts from 5"+

BTW:
Not all entry doors open inwards. Not mine...
Mine are "kick resistant"

Example: Florida has one of the most stringent building codes in the US, as all exterior doors must open outward if you live in South Florida. Outward opening doors provide you with an added layer of protection.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought all entry doors opened "in" but I guess not. I can see the doors opening out, to assist medical persons when extricating a body.

Come to think of it, this is why my shower door swings BOTH ways. (To get me out if/when I go down.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House