Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 02:53 PM

262 posts, read 164,350 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have these Fibrex windows installed? Got some sticker shock today.

I just ordered up 6 small double hung windows for nearly $10K, the windows all measuring 34" x 46". I skipped replacing the 2 large windows in living room, and dinette sliding glass door for now as that would have been so much more. The 6 windows in the 3 bedrooms are all broken, and need replacement first so just ordered those. The previous bid I got was from a vinyl window company, but did not like the look and feel of their product - and really did not want to go with replacement vinyl again. The previous owners had installed vinyl in 2011, and they were already broken, warped, and the hardware growing some kind of corrosion. Several of the windows no longer could shut all the way, and so could not lock.

The Renewal by Andersen salesperson was very low pressure, but did follow a set presentation, lugging in a full display of the product line - which I appreciated. With pricing, he kept knocking off this and that to get the price down to what he said was the lowest with all the available discounts. Was suprised couldn't get that last 3% for a cash deal (check) vs the credit card, as CC companies charge 3% right there. Also, when I asked about the 100 series Fibrex sold at Home Depot, he said those were different than the ones that Renewal by Anderson sells and installs, that have no series #. So how are they different then?

We are in mid-Michigan where I find contractors can and do charge a lot more than other places that I've lived before, and homes also require a lot more maintenance due to high moisture and extreme heat and cold. I was so surprised that my current windows (installed by previous owners) were only 9 years old and looked at least 20 years old. I was glad previous homeowners provided all the paperwork for the improvements they made on the house. Of course, I tried to contact the original installers about the guarantee on the existing windows - no surprise, but out of business, phones disconnected.

Is Fibrex a good durable product, and what are your thoughts on that price - $10K for just 6 windows?

Last edited by PacificaViews; 11-02-2020 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Andersen, not Anderson I realized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 03:42 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I hope that’s an over-inflated INSTALLED price! Still, that’s over $1k/window! Talk about getting bent over... “thank you sir; may I please have another!”

Here’s my problem with this S#!T- it’s a composite. I won’t put composite on a deck- and I’m sure as Hell not putting in a window that is made of composite. My top preference for windows is either a hybrid of aluminum clad foam outer core/wood interior or a PVC clad exterior with wood interior. Jambs, sills, trim/brick mold, extensions- PVC. And they can certainly be built/installed for less monies.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:19 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Personally, I don't like a product that is composed of 40% Ponderosa pine wood fibers (i.e. sawdust) and 60% PVC. That's just my preference. I think there are better products available.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"I hope that’s an over-inflated INSTALLED price! Still, that’s over $1k/window!"

What is the phrase attributed to P T Barnam....

Renewal by Anderson started out at $90K to replace our 40, 9 over 9 and 6 over 9 windows (the cost of the house!) and ended up at $50K after much negotiating...still too pricey for us when there was nothing but re-glazing required. There is no wood damage, no drafts, so we went with new, good quality storm windows to preserve the original high quality, 1949 windows, at 1/5th the cost. Re-glazing is still on my to-do list, but the urgency to complete the process has been removed.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-03-2020, 07:17 AM

262 posts, read 164,350 times
Surprised I can't find customer reviews of Fibrex - only testimonials. The product itself looked like masonite board wrapped with very thin layer of PVC. Think I'll cancel. Just don't know what exact product to be shopping for. The vinyl windows that were replaced 9 years ago have warped so badly in the sun, and with the extreme hot/cold here, and don't operate anymore. Ugh! Have Window World and a few others on calendar coming out. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:34 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,080,320 times
In my experience solid vinyl window frames last about 15 years (dry climate 4500 ft elevation) before the sun does its thing and they start to crumble. I cant imagine a “composite” product doing any better especially in a climate with wide swings in temperature and humidity.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Personally, I don't like a product that is composed of 40% Ponderosa pine wood fibers (i.e. sawdust) and 60% PVC. That's just my preference. I think there are better products available.
Fiber reinforced plastic can be a great solution for a wide variety of mechanical components. But it makes less than zero sense to use a biodegradable fiber rather than one of the standard fibers (most common and cost-effective would be glass fiber). I'd also rather see polyester resin than PVC, as I think PVC's going to be more prone to UV embrittlement. PPS or PEEK would be superior choices for an exposed component.

And before signing up for any of these plastic windows I'd want to hear what they do about UV degradation and other types of environmental degradation.

My old wooden double hung windows aren't highly resistant to the environment, but if you keep them painted their degradation is slow and predictable (you won't put some force on a piece of wood and have it suddently crumble, like you will with UV-degraded plastics) and easily repairable. I really wish for storm windows from this time of year on through March, though.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:17 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Contact- Lansing Building Products

https://lansingbp.com/product/windows/

They carry several lines; and also do their own “jobber” windows. Ask them about the descriptions I mentioned previously.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 84,778 times
Not sure how I stumbled into this thread. My parents are midway through having about 20 windows replaced with Renewal by Anderson. They look pretty good in person. Definitely expensive. I make custom wood doors and windows for a living, which are more expensive but maybe less weather resistant.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:21 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
Surprised I can't find customer reviews of Fibrex - only testimonials. The product itself looked like masonite board wrapped with very thin layer of PVC. Think I'll cancel. Just don't know what exact product to be shopping for. The vinyl windows that were replaced 9 years ago have warped so badly in the sun, and with the extreme hot/cold here, and don't operate anymore. Ugh! Have Window World and a few others on calendar coming out. Thanks.
Have you considered fiberglass windows at all? They tend to be more expensive than vinyl but are stronger than vinyl and resist warping and cracking even under prolonged weather extremes. Also, fiberglass frames tend to be thinner than vinyl and have more glass exposed, which is good if you want as much natural light in a room as possible. Just an alternative to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House