Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 AM

460 posts, read 3,548,148 times

Advertisements

We have 9 window panes of glass in our living room that could be quite an easy entry way for burglars to get in and looking to do something with these to make that very difficult for them. We're not looking to bullet proof or even sledge hammer proof this area but to make it secure enough. I was thinking maybe some thick hard acrylic pieces screwed into the inside of the window frame for each window. Windows are about 2'x3' each and probably a little smaller than that though. Do they sell anything like that at the home centers and could use some suggestions or comments if anybody's got them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,220,437 times
Acrylic panels are available. You can speical order via Lowes but they are generally used for hurricane protection and are not meant to be permanent. The problem is that they will eventually degrade in sunlight and become more brittle and cloudy. They also scratch. I would ask an expert before proceeding.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Use this link for custom sizes and thicknesses. They will pre-cut to exact dimensions needed as special blades are needed that the home supply stores dont use and thus cause damage to the sheets when they try to cut it to size.

Piedmont Plastics, Inc. - much more than just sheets, rods, tubes (http://www.piedmontplastics.com/locations.asp - broken link)

Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Most people use a table saw with a fine tooth blade turning backward as to mounting. i have had a friend cut mnay poeices of acrylic and even Lean and it was a very fine cut.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Most people use a table saw...............
And when was the last time you saw Lowes or Home Depot change out a blade for a plastic cut that mat require a water bottle so not to destroy the edges of the cut??

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Will you never open your windows then? What about safety? We had makeshift "solar" windows in our current home when we bought it. The owner had those acrylic panels on every window but they were put in place by magnetic strips on both the window casing and the acrylic panel frame, not SCREWED in. I wouldn't think that legal. And the acrylic scratched and yellowed over the years. I would not go this route if I were you.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 AM

460 posts, read 3,548,148 times
These wndows don't open and I did come across some security window film at Ace hardware that you can ?laminate? to any window but not sure if that's what someone mentioned NOT to get?

I re-thought the hard acrylic thick panels attached to the inside of the window frame and that actually wouldn't be any good in this instance.

We already do have plexiglass pieces placed against these window panes that are held in place with strips of wood and we did that a while back to insulate from the cold and heat so I think maybe we just need to replace the pexiglass with something more substantial for security. If anyone has any good recomedations please share them. Thanks again

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Security? Plant spiny bushes under the windows if all you want to prevent are crimes of opportunity. A thin border of aluminum foil tape on the glass, such as used in burglar alarms, is another simple fix.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
And when was the last time you saw Lowes or Home Depot change out a blade for a plastic cut that mat require a water bottle so not to destroy the edges of the cut??
I cut some acrylic with a radial arm saw a number of years ago. I proceeded very carefully and used a blade for plastics and laminates. The result was pretty good, but didn't exactly look like fine crystal. It would be very difficult to get an edge on a sheet of acrylic that would be pretty enough to have on display in your living room without some serious, purpose-made equipment, IMO.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
You may want to look into impact glass for your windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House