Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well if she can afford whatever she wants no doubt she doesn't care if she de-valued her kitchen.
HA HA HA - very good point! I will have to tell her that next time she says something to me about worrying that she de-valued her kitchen. She and her husband are going to retire and sell that house in a year - and I think she is having second thoughts now about putting in the black. But you should hear her complain about stainless - the woman HATES it. So it would have been a constant aggravation to her had she put in stainless when she bought that house six years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 04:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
I dont like stainless and I been an NKBA certified kitchen designer for 25 years.

So I just have to swallow my likes and dislikes and show people these ugly stainless appliances.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont like stainless and I been an NKBA certified kitchen designer for 25 years.

So I just have to swallow my likes and dislikes and show people these ugly stainless appliances.
I hope you get well-compensated for the pain, LOL.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
How come stainless toilets never became popular? They're quite chic in most modern jails. (Of course a modern jail is a "correctional facility".)

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
How come stainless toilets never became popular? They're quite chic in most modern jails. (Of course a modern jail is a "correctional facility".)
I guess if they were popular in FRENCH jails, they might become a trend here.

Actually, now that you mention it - sounds great to me. Very sanitary.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
We just switched out our 19 year old appliances to matching stainless.

We had an almond fridge, black dishwasher, and a very ugly black oven.

I love stainless. I also like the cabinet refacing panels that match the kitchen.

We like stainless, but we are also considering resale as we are cosmetically fixing up this house to sell and we are in a nice neighborhood.

Dawn

Old 07-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We just switched out our 19 year old appliances to matching stainless.

We had an almond fridge, black dishwasher, and a very ugly black oven.

I love stainless. I also like the cabinet refacing panels that match the kitchen.

We like stainless, but we are also considering resale as we are cosmetically fixing up this house to sell and we are in a nice neighborhood.

Dawn
Hey, Dawn! Well, when we moved in this house, there were almond appliances and a black trash compactor! I replaced it all w/ stainless and have been very pleased w/ the look as well as the functional aspects. I had stated earlier that I started using stainless in the early 90s, but actually, I started using it in the early 80s - w/ my first Jenn-Aire system. It was not as easy to find stainless back then.

I always wanted that gourmet kitchen look - Thermador, Subzero, Wolf . . . but never coughed up the money for it. The thing is - I love to cook - we rarely eat out - and I enjoy entertaining - so for me, I want appliances that meet my cooking style. Sadly, most designers and specifiers tell me that their wealthy clients (houses in the Millions of $$) are insistent on the best of everything in their kitchens - and then rarely even cook in them. WHAT A SHAME!!!!! (But I guess their housekeepers like them, Hee Hee).

If you use Weiman's lemon oil (lightly) on a soft cloth on your stainless appliances, they stay bright and shining - and finger-print resistant.

But they aren't for everyone. I do NOT see them as a trend - they are a style. My parents' wealthy friends had stainless in their kitchens when I was a kid. Of course, it was all imported stuff . . .

However, appliances are an expression of style and if stainless steel makes someone cringe - then it isn't for them. That is the beauty of home ownership - to each his own - and not like someone can't replace appliances if it is that big of a deal.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:18 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
get what you like and dont worry about resale. chances are you will be there for a few years and the next owners will change things anyway
I agree with this approach.
As long as you don't paint the appliances in neon colors or something equally scary it shouldn't matter.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
I have seen some in upscale porta potties!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM

30 posts, read 249,765 times
We also hate stainless and it took us a while to find a good alternative. If you like vintage/ farmhouse check out AGA. Very high quality and very not stainless. You can get good prices through direct buy on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House