Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,732 times

Advertisements

Just got a quote from a locksmith to come to the house:

$50.00 Service Call
$12.00 Per Lock ( $24.00 per door for the doors with lock and deadbolt

$3.00 more if you don't have a key for the exisiting locks

Total for my house would be $158.00 Since I have 4 doors with lock and deadbolt and 1 door with just a lock.

Too MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I rekeyed all of our kwickset locks in our old house for less than $20. It took a couple of hours becasue of course a few things went wrong here and there. Since quickset re-key sets only come in sets of six, I had to buy a coupld of extra sets to get the right combinations of pins to match my keys. The pins are color coded so it is really easy to do. The first one may take an hour, the second half an hour, then you get down to about ten to fifteen minutes per lock until one gives you trouble in some odd way. Overall it was easy and the locks are still in use 14 years later.

If your big concern is major security, then you should get metal security doors. these doors open out and mount in a metal frame and the bolts go through to the studsso they cannot be kicked in very easily if at all. You should get a decent quality double tumbler deadbolt and you have pretty much relegated any potential theives to going through the windows. That will make them inclined to go elsewhere.

Of course no lock systme can helpp you if you forget to close and or lock your doors.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
I'mma licensed locksmith.

The cheapest way is to take your locks off yourself and have them rekeyed at a locksmith shop. In my state, only licensed locksmiths can rekey for compensation (IE the box stores cannot charge to rekey unless they have a licensed locksmith on site). Handymen and property owners/managers can rekey the properties they are responsible for.

If the homeowner (as in the OP) has schlage (older is better) you cannot replace the door hardware for cheaper than rekeying unless you go to a lesser quality lock (store brand or some other knockoff).

Schlage has a great deadbolt Model b560... great lock for the price. It has a metal 'pocket' that the bolt goes into with 3 inch screws to help prevent kick ins (which is the #1 break in method in our area)

The self change keys are a good concept. The design is relatively new, so I do not know the longevity of the design. What we see is when the locks are used incorrectly (like the change tool being used as a primary key) or keys being turned before they are completely in the cylinder. These are not good choices in high use areas and impossible in masterkeying applications.

Medeco (as previously mentioned) are absolutely wonderful locks and have key control options. The downside is the cost of the locks (several hundred per lock) and the keys can take time to get if restricted.

If you are going for security, get a good, solid deadbolt. Doorknobs/handlests aren't as important for security. The latch (knob) design is made for ease of use where as a bolt design (deadbolt) is for security). Use your knobs to express design individuality. It doesn't even matter if you have a keyless (passage) knob. If you have a deadbolt and someone can bypass that (drilling or kicking) then your doorknob isn't going to slow them up one bit. Plus, if your knob doesn't lock, you cannot lock your keys in your house.

IMHO, old mortise locks are the best locks ever. The kind put on houses in the 20s and 30s. Baldwin makes good mortise locks (not the Baldwin sold in box stores) but they can be pricey.

On my home, I have the B series deadbolts and a passage knob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House