Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:58 PM

134 posts, read 607,109 times

Advertisements

Does a pre-filter that you hook up for all incoming water to the house, filter out sediments enough that the water from kitchen faucet is okay to drink from tap or do you still need a separate filter for that? So does it purify as well or merely help remove sediment. Anyone know or have experience with these filters and can advise? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I am in FL well into limestone aquafier,when new well was drilled 3-4 years ago had to use 0 micron filter to remove sediment and chips.Still have filter but not needed,water clear.Sediment filter only for particles nothing else.Our water always tasted good,some areas have iron etc. and require actual filter.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times
I've been looking into this stuff myself for the last several months and have learned enough to actually be dangerous

There are quite literally a hundred different filter types out there, each designed to filter out very specific contaminants. You must test your water first to find out what needs to be removed. A simple sediment filter may be a waste of money or it may be exactly what you need.

We used a widely-available home test called "Water Safe". It tests for common contaminants. I can't scientifically vouch for how valid such a test is, but we trusted its results and haven't gotten sick yet!

A simple test for sediment is to draw some water into a clear clean jar and let it sit. If grit collects at the bottom, then yes, you need a sediment filter, preferably one that's on the main water line so it filters the whole house. Once you've got that, you shouldn't need another one at the tap. This is precisely the setup in our house and it seems to help.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Removing sediment, iron and hardness are different things. Find a water testing company and have the water tested. Even if it costs $100 it is worth finding out what is there before you try and remove what is not there. Do not have the water tested by anyone trying to sell you something. The testing lab should provide treatment recommendations for the water they tested.

You can also do some preliminary qualitative testing yourself. Fill a pint to quart clear glass jar and place the sample in direct sunlight. If the sample appears cloudy you have silt or sand and need a filter. If the water turns red or purple you may have iron and/or manganese. If you add a couple of drops of soap (not detergent) to another sample, shake it, and no suds are created you probably have calcium hardness.

Once you know the quality of the water you can look for a treatment system if needed.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Interesting, okay. I've read somewhere that I guess every year, homeowners are given results of testing done for water in their area. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
Interesting, okay. I've read somewhere that I guess every year, homeowners are given results of testing done for water in their area. Does anyone know about this? Thanks
For a well, your local heath department. City water, call the provider.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 AM

City water. Thanks Driller

Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
If you are on city water, which it seems you are, then here are the caveats.
1. The city water is safe to drink from a tap unless the city tells you otherwise. It may have sediment, it may taste bad, but the mandated regulation of these supplies keep them generally* safe. They are also tested regularly.
2. If you add a sediment filter, you are introducing a spot in the line where all sorts of gunk can accumulate and form globs that protect the interior of those masses from chlorine and other methods of disinfection. Bacteria can and will grow in the filter.
3. The level of bacteria in a filter is generally tolerable IF you change the filter as regularly as recommended by the manufacturer. You'll also want to clear the slime that can form on the interior of the housing and o-ring.
4. A sediment filter offers no effective protection against many water-borne diseases.

Our water supply is basicly a surface water supply, and we prefilter the water, which then is pumped into a 1000 gal storage and settling tank, along with a measured amount of chlorine. It then gets filtered again for use in the washers, toilets, and showers. Although it is probably safe to drink at that point, we don't ever use it for drinking or cooking without first filtering it again through a ceramic micropore filter that is designed to remove all cysts and bacteria. Because we are in total control of our system and there is redundancy, I'm confident our water is at least as safe as the municipal supply, but it takes work and vigilance.

*There are certain situations where I am of the opinion that municipal systems may not be as safe as private systems. I'm not convinced that all municipal systems are effective in removing viruses, such as those that can cause flu. There are too many cases I've heard where "everyone" comes down with a flu at the same time in a community, faster than a spread via aerosol transmission would likely occur. If the water comes from a reservoir, and ducks land in the reservoir.... Municipal systems are also often subject to backfeeding, where one dwelling can contaminate the lines downline from it.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you are on city water, which it seems you are, then here are the caveats.
1. The city water is safe to drink from a tap unless the city tells you otherwise. It may have sediment, it may taste bad, but the mandated regulation of these supplies keep them generally* safe. They are also tested regularly.
2. If you add a sediment filter, you are introducing a spot in the line where all sorts of gunk can accumulate and form globs that protect the interior of those masses from chlorine and other methods of disinfection. Bacteria can and will grow in the filter.
3. The level of bacteria in a filter is generally tolerable IF you change the filter as regularly as recommended by the manufacturer. You'll also want to clear the slime that can form on the interior of the housing and o-ring.
4. A sediment filter offers no effective protection against many water-borne diseases.

Our water supply is basicly a surface water supply, and we prefilter the water, which then is pumped into a 1000 gal storage and settling tank, along with a measured amount of chlorine. It then gets filtered again for use in the washers, toilets, and showers. Although it is probably safe to drink at that point, we don't ever use it for drinking or cooking without first filtering it again through a ceramic micropore filter that is designed to remove all cysts and bacteria. Because we are in total control of our system and there is redundancy, I'm confident our water is at least as safe as the municipal supply, but it takes work and vigilance.

*There are certain situations where I am of the opinion that municipal systems may not be as safe as private systems. I'm not convinced that all municipal systems are effective in removing viruses, such as those that can cause flu. There are too many cases I've heard where "everyone" comes down with a flu at the same time in a community, faster than a spread via aerosol transmission would likely occur. If the water comes from a reservoir, and ducks land in the reservoir.... Municipal systems are also often subject to backfeeding, where one dwelling can contaminate the lines downline from it.
Do you mind if I ask what area you are in??? You are 100% correct about city water, they "treat" it. That is not cleaning it.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
North Alabama. I've run across the flu thing in a number of different areas. In south Florida, I found it common during the rainy season for the municipal water to turn green from the algae. Last I knew, green algae comes from surface water. How it was getting into the well fields, I don't know. If algae can get through and is still green, methinks protection from viruses is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House