Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 1,129,045 times

Advertisements

We moved into our new house about a month ago. It's LITERALLY "wall to wall" carpeting, except in the bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room. Even the master bath (except toilet area) is carpet. It's a foreclosure, so we don't know how many pets were here, but I keep vacuuming up black dog hair and I smell urine in some rooms. ICK!

Anywho - We are going to rip up the carpet...and I really like the look of stained concrete floors. What do you think of them? Do you have them? Are they really expensive to have done? How is the maintenance? Do they last?

Otherwise we'll go with some sort of wood or fake wood that we can DIY if concrete is really expensive.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 02:35 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
You can have a concrete floor stained and sealed for as little as $2-3/sf, or you can spend $15/sf- it all depends on how you want it to look, and how long you want it to last. A few things to bear in mind:

- There's a good possibility that the slab doesn't look that great- spray paint/markings from when the house was built, paint/drywall splatter, cracks (concrete always cracks), patches where they moved plumbing that was incorrectly placed, etc. It can take a lot of work (and $$) to make the slab look presentable.

- Your baseboards are probably sitting 1/2" or so above the slab, which allowed the carpet to slip under them. This will require that you either lower the baseboards or put in a big piece of shoe molding to conceal the gap.

- If you're smelling urine, you've likely already got "stained concrete" and not the kind you're looking for. It can be a real bear to get the smell (and the stain) out of the concrete.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM

69 posts, read 1,129,045 times
Thank you for the helpful information. I have no idea what it looks like underneath. Hmmmm....I'll show your post to hubby. Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Pull up a corner of the carpet behind a chair or something and find out what is there before you do anything else. The carpet is held down by a strip of nail like things and should just peel up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House