Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I looked into it and ended up just buying a really good wireless router instead. Works great. Our contractor still comes and sits in our driveway and does his internet stuff because our wireless router with cable is faster than his cable connected DSL at his home and office. Not sure why you would want cables run all over. They are already out of date.
But you still can't get gigabit ethernet over wireless. If you want to stream hi-def you need the faster speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
But you still can't get gigabit ethernet over wireless. If you want to stream hi-def you need the faster speed.
But does anyone need to do that in more than one room?

We have wired connections in one room. Cannot see the need for more. In a year or so the wireless will probably equal hardwire anyway.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 AM

70 posts, read 340,528 times
our house, build complete a couple of months ago, has a central distribution panel in our master closet. It is for phone and cable. A week after the cable guy connected our house to the grid, we were having all kinds of cable issues. Anyway, I opened the panel and the installer used a whole bunch of splitters instead of the distr. panel connections. Talked to the next cable guy who had to come over and fix the screw-ups by the installer (not because of the splitters, it was a nicked supply cable), he said there is too much signal loss using those distribution panels, thats why they use splitters instead. Not sure how true that is.....

Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
But does anyone need to do that in more than one room?

We have wired connections in one room. Cannot see the need for more. In a year or so the wireless will probably equal hardwire anyway.
Currently wireless is just able to stream 1 high-def channel, depending on bitrate, as high-def could be around 40+ mbps (based on trying it myself and various other reports), or maybe 2 lower rate streams.

AT&T Uverse now allows you to record 4 channels of TV at the same time, right now not all high-def, but it will come. So in a house with 4 people each person could watch a different show. Basically the idea is to record to one server and stream to the location someone wants to watch at.

Of course the fewer people in the household, the lower the requirement, but 1 gbps wired is far greater than what wireless can do.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,977 times
I would agree. Since I live alone I wouldn't need everything in all rooms yet, but having hardwired CAT-6 cable to my desktop and laptop (when I need constant connection) can be an advantage over wireless on occasion. With wireless you have to deal with occasional signal failures and such.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
To answer the OP, I have one in my home. The equipment is Greyfox Greyfox Services - Welcome to Greyfox Services but I don't know if the brand really matters as long as you get the right parts and such. One thing I love, is that every jack in the house is Cat5e (I know, I wish it was Cat6), and single and 2 line telephones are compatible, so that I can make any jack an internet port or a telephone port, just by switching cables in the panel. Our cable runs are also through the same panel.

I do have wireless as well in the house, but many of my devices (DVRs, gaming devices, RAID backup system, printers) don't support wireless (and yes, i do have some ethernet adapters if I want to use them wireless, but that is an extra step, more wires, etc).

The house also has Cat5e runs from the panel to all the entrances in order to integrate IP cameras into the security system. I don't feel the need for cameras, but it is another reason for a panel if that is your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House