Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM

858 posts, read 1,147,539 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I bought a bank owned home a month ago. We never used the garage because we dont own car. We used it only for extra storage. For unknown reasons we cannot locate the remote. My girlfriend will be buying a honda civic from her brother next month and will be using the garage daily. The garage opener is a Chamberlain LiftMaster Professional Formula I. Where and what type of remote can we get for this opener?? How much will it cost? Also the garage has a LiftMaster security feature Lock/Light. We dont have a manual either since the home was bought as is. Also we are concerned with security, how can we program it for security? Any advice is apprecitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,695,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
My girlfriend and I bought a bank owned home a month ago. We never used the garage because we dont own car. We used it only for extra storage. For unknown reasons we cannot locate the remote. My girlfriend will be buying a honda civic from her brother next month and will be using the garage daily. The garage opener is a Chamberlain LiftMaster Professional Formula I. Where and what type of remote can we get for this opener?? How much will it cost? Also the garage has a LiftMaster security feature Lock/Light. We dont have a manual either since the home was bought as is. Also we are concerned with security, how can we program it for security? Any advice is apprecitated.
Many years ago, prior to the Internet this happened to me and the local locksmith was able to assist me in locating a universal opener, I was able to reset the "code" in the remote, a series of number flippers to match up the flippers in the opener box in the garage. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,908,615 times
Sears sells a remote that is universal. You code the numbers to match and it works on most models. take the brand and model number with you to buy and make sure it is listed as a brand it will operate. Radio shack may also sell them. Just make sure you have the brand and model number to compare when buying the universal remote.
As for the operating manual...check the internet. Maybe even check the internet for the company and see if they sell remotes.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,377,477 times
You have to determine which model it is. There are either DIP switches (numbered 1-9 or 1-12) or a learn button that is some color (like purple or red, etc...). These determine the type of remote you can use. HomeDepot and Lowes both carry Chamberlain remotes. You can always return stuff there if it doesn't work. The Chamberlain Clicker is good for the DIP switch ones, which the others depend on the model you have.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:58 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,332,986 times
Go to a garage door company, tell them what you have, and they will set you up with what you need and walk you thru the process. They don't cost that much

Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Here is a link to Chaberlin Groups website and an owners manual. Scroll down or click the bookmarked "Programming" section found on page 31. It will walk you through the process of erasing all remote codes already programmed into the opener, but also how to add a different remote controller.
http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...s/114A3044.pdf

If you go to their website you can download manuals for their openers. Find to model number of the unit you have and go to the customer service tab and look it up in their owners manual section. Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,684,979 times
Check the car. It may be equipped with a universal garage door opener from the factory. My Hyundai has it as part of the mirror. It can "learn" how to open your garage door.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,381,520 times
You can buy replacements at any hardware store or Home Deopt/Lowe's. Just find a store that sells the same brand and they will have ones that will work. You can also find universal ones there too if you can't find a Chamberlain one. We had a Chamberlain opener at our old house and wanted one to keep in the house to close the door (detached garage). We got one at our local hardware store.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 PM

858 posts, read 1,147,539 times
My gosh! All your help have saved us a bunch of headaches. I am happy to say that my garage is now fully operational I am very grateful for your help. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House