Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,615 times

Advertisements

I am going to install some laminate flooring in my unit in a multi-level condo. I don't really get along with my downstairs neighbor and he has complained in the past of my use of treadmill being too loud for him.

I have ugly carpet that is killing me with allergies and am looking to install laminate flooring myself. I am confused about what type of underlayment or subfloor I should use. Every place I go for advice, it's always different and often contradictory. For example, I've been told:

1) 2mm or 3mm foam or felt is all you need.
2) 6mm foam
3) 3mm cork
4) 6mm or 12mm cork
5) 3mm Silent Blue (or many of the other very expensive foams that with a Sound rating of STC70 or higher).
6) 3, 6, or 12 mm rubber
7) Nothing but a vapor barrier

The response I always get is you need X, without them ever really asking the circumstances of my condo and floor. I have concrete floors and other than the treadmill, I don't believe they can hear anything (as I never hear my neighbors above me).

I've also been told that either not to get any laminate with pre installed foam, or that it is OK if you put another layer of underlayment below it. And that anything with that is 6mm or larger will make the floor feel squishy or spongy. Does this seem accurate? I would prefer for that not to happen, but would be alright with that if it killed the sound.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I've also been told that either not to get any laminate with pre installed foam, or that it is OK if you put another layer of underlayment below it. And that anything with that is 6mm or larger will make the floor feel squishy or spongy. Does this seem accurate? I would prefer for that not to happen, but would be alright with that if it killed the sound.

Whatever your thoughts are now, you will not be alright with squishy floors after you've squished around on them for about an hour. I helped a neighbor install laminate flooring over a very thick, very spongy foam underlayment. He thought it would be necessary because we were laying the floor over bare concrete foundation and he didn't want the floors to be noisy or too cold. It was awful. Like being in a moonwalk. We re-did the work the next weekend with a 2mm hard foam "mesh" underlayment. Much better.

If you decide to put a foam underlayment in, make it as thin as is practical and make sure that it feels hard to the touch. You really don't want more give in the floor than what you feel with traditional hardwoods.

I wouldn't go too far out of my way for a downstairs neighbor's peace of mind, particularly if you are not bothered by the unit above you.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 10-23-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
I think you should try to accomodate your neighbor's concerns. I have lived below noisy neighbors and it can be maddening. What goes on above you has nothing to do with what those below you hear from you. Your building is your community, no? Would you like it if the upstairs neighbors had a loud treadmill above you?

Anyway, my advice is to do it right- hire a soundproofing company to do the job. It will probably increase the value of your condo and will avert a wider war- remember, the fella downstairs need only turn up the bass and point a speaker upwards to make your life miserable.

They might tear up your floor and put insulation between the joists and then cork. Or maybe something else. Go for it.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think you should try to accomodate your neighbor's concerns. I have lived below noisy neighbors and it can be maddening. What goes on above you has nothing to do with what those below you hear from you. Your building is your community, no? Would you like it if the upstairs neighbors had a loud treadmill above you?

Anyway, my advice is to do it right- hire a soundproofing company to do the job. It will probably increase the value of your condo and will avert a wider war- remember, the fella downstairs need only turn up the bass and point a speaker upwards to make your life miserable.

They might tear up your floor and put insulation between the joists and then cork. Or maybe something else. Go for it.
Wile I would normally agree, I think he said the floor and ceiling were concrete. Unless he has some very unusual habits it seems like he probably has a hyper-sensitive neighbor.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I am going to install some laminate flooring in my unit in a multi-level condo. I don't really get along with my downstairs neighbor and he has complained in the past of my use of treadmill being too loud for him.

I have ugly carpet that is killing me with allergies and am looking to install laminate flooring myself. I am confused about what type of underlayment or subfloor I should use. Every place I go for advice, it's always different and often contradictory. For example, I've been told:

1) 2mm or 3mm foam or felt is all you need.
2) 6mm foam
3) 3mm cork
4) 6mm or 12mm cork
5) 3mm Silent Blue (or many of the other very expensive foams that with a Sound rating of STC70 or higher).
6) 3, 6, or 12 mm rubber
7) Nothing but a vapor barrier

The response I always get is you need X, without them ever really asking the circumstances of my condo and floor. I have concrete floors and other than the treadmill, I don't believe they can hear anything (as I never hear my neighbors above me).

It seems to me it would make more sense to put some sort of sound insulation (rubber or dense foam padding) underneath the treadmill after the laminate is installed. This would help absorb the vibration from the treadmill and prevent it from being transmitted through the floor and ceiling to your downstairs neighbor.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Wile I would normally agree, I think he said the floor and ceiling were concrete. Unless he has some very unusual habits it seems like he probably has a hyper-sensitive neighbor.

Believe it or not, concrete can be problematic when it comes to noise. It often serves to enhance rather than subdue sound. I picked an apartment building because it had nice floors with concrete underneath. Big mistake.

I like not knowing my neighbors exist and they not knowing I exist. Its what finally motivated me to buy a house.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 16,355 times
I am trying to put in laminate flooring in my condo. I live on the 3rd floor and my association is telling me I can't put in the flooring because of the sound it will make for my downstairs neighbors. I was told I need to show proof of a subflooring that will prevent this problem. I don't know where to go to get this type of information. I have carpet now and my dog has ruined it. What to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House