Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

I have used, I think, Roebic and either Liquid Plumber or Drano bacteria-based cleaners. These need to be put into the drain after a good slug of hot water, at least that is what was directed on the one I used.

These can take a while to work. As in weeks.

Another thought is there is a rust buildup as the elderly former owners probably did not go on the 2nd floor much.

If you have a snake and are willing to use it yourself, if you are careful, you will probably be OK.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie3333 View Post
I think there is only 1 cleanout. I wanted to avoid using a plumbers snake because a friend told me that since the sweeps are lead, if the snake catches the sweep the wrong way, it can puncture the pipe and then I'd be in for a whole lot of trouble. I may try the chemical cleaner. Could you recommend a specific brand of a bacteria based cleaner? Thanks all for all the great helpful advice!
Sweeps? Do you mean the P-traps? Either way there is no such thing as lead pipes. The toilet elbow was lead for many years pre 1960s but no more. The traps are whats called white metal or white brass. Today they alre almost all PVC or ABS plastic. There is not a plumbers snake alive that can poke through any material of piping unless the trap is so old and rotted. If that is the case you should be replacing the traps just because. You should remove them anyway just to prove or disprove the problem.

There is not anything wrong with your simple idea of a chemical to pour down the drains. I can assure you that the better products that really work are not available to the public so if you have a friend who is a plumber and can get you some then go for it. The junk you buy in Home Depot is designed to clean your wallet, not your plumbing. Bacteria has nothing to do with it. If there is a clog it is hair 90% of the time. I have seen everything one can think of caught in traps. Everything from tooth brushes, jewlery, coins, pencils, kids toys and on and on. But 90% of the time it is hair. And hair calls for a strong chemical to disove it, not bacteria killers. And if you have a septic then DO NOT EVER EVER put a bacteria killer in the drain or you will be in for a very expensive bill.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sweeps? Do you mean the P-traps? Either way there is no such thing as lead pipes. The toilet elbow was lead for many years pre 1960s but no more. The traps are whats called white metal or white brass. Today they alre almost all PVC or ABS plastic. There is not a plumbers snake alive that can poke through any material of piping unless the trap is so old and rotted. If that is the case you should be replacing the traps just because. You should remove them anyway just to prove or disprove the problem.

There is not anything wrong with your simple idea of a chemical to pour down the drains. I can assure you that the better products that really work are not available to the public so if you have a friend who is a plumber and can get you some then go for it. The junk you buy in Home Depot is designed to clean your wallet, not your plumbing. Bacteria has nothing to do with it. If there is a clog it is hair 90% of the time. I have seen everything one can think of caught in traps. Everything from tooth brushes, jewlery, coins, pencils, kids toys and on and on. But 90% of the time it is hair. And hair calls for a strong chemical to disove it, not bacteria killers. And if you have a septic then DO NOT EVER EVER put a bacteria killer in the drain or you will be in for a very expensive bill.
Mookie,

I think you mean that the pipe unions are lead, right?

Old cast iron plumbing sometimes had molten lead poured into a cast around joints to form a seal. I wouldn't worry about snaking those, I've had it done without incident.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Mookie,

I think you mean that the pipe unions are lead, right?

Old cast iron plumbing sometimes had molten lead poured into a cast around joints to form a seal. I wouldn't worry about snaking those, I've had it done without incident.
Yes that is true. I forgot about that. What a crude and time consuming way they did plumbing in those days.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Cast iron pipes are still the preferred but more expensive way to plumb the second story to the slab or basement because they are so much quieter than PVC.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 AM

75 posts, read 522,575 times
I can see the bend right below the toilet where the pipe bends and goes into the main drain which is cast iron. The bent piece, I am 90% sure, is lead.

Desertsun41, when you said up until the 60's lead was used for the toilet elbow, this is what I was referring to, because the house was built in 1910 and probably still has the original drains. So what chemical do you recommend to dissolve hair? I will probably have a professional plumber take care of it, but would like to know just for my knowledge. Also, there is no septic, the drains go into the city sewer.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
There are indeed lead trap on old bathtubs. They were notorious for clogging up. You may even be able to see the cleanout in the floor near the tub. They were about the size of a coffee can. If you have them, it's best to have a plumber just replace them.

Pouring chemicals down the drains could prove to be a bigger problem than a snake. They can eat through the pipe, and then you have a very caustic liquid leaking all over. Also, if the backup is really bad, and a plumber starts working on it, the caustic fluid can get on him.

It is not likely two systems.
It IS probably a clogged drain and you need to get a plumber out there and snake it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House