Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I know that but my question is: If the air flow is increased with the fan, will that decrease the condensation that builds up? I am just wondering if the air is forced outside than condensation wouldn't build up like now that the air isn't moving out so well.
Yes... we use fans, i.e. air movement to dry wet carpet after a pipe or roof leak.

The fan can be wired to a common bathroom timer fan switch if you don't want to make a second trip to turn it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
...The condensation is from when the dryer is off...
Well, not necessarily. You're correct that warm, moist household air can still migrate up into the cold portion of the vent line when the dryer is off, condense, and run back down. Hence your comment on keeping the fan on all the time or getting a damper of some sort to close off the vent line.

However, if the line is uninsulated and extends through a cold attic space, if its chilly enough condensation will occur even when the dryer is operating and the condensate will flow back down the vent line - particularly if it's a vertical line to the roof.

So, we're back to relocating the line or making sure it runs on the "warm" side of the insulation up to the point it immediately vents outside. If the line is on the "warm side" of things all the way to the outside vent and there's still condensation, then the run is just way too long. In that instance the booster fan may work, but why use more electricity, have a piece of equipment that can fail, and the possibility of flammable lint building up on an electric fan? Either properly insulate the vent line or reroute it so it exits the house in as short a distance as possible.

You know, if appliance installers, builders, and "scorched air" HVAC guys had ever worked with steam heating systems, they'd know how to run dryer vents so there wouldn't be this problem!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
I would argue condensation does not occur when the dryer is "off". I recently purchased a new dryer & have started having the same problem. I have about a 4' to 5' run of venting. I cleaned out my vent hose today because I noticed water building up in the dryer vent hose. after doing so I put another load of clothes in the dryer. I checked the dryer vent towards the end of the cycle & found several ounces of water in the hose vent hose again. I'm not sure what I'll do for a solution & when I do, I'll post again (if I remember where I found this site.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 632 times
lots of good info and alternatives posted above. Janipoo, are you able to post an update with what you ended up doing about your situation and how things turned out?
I'm experiences the exact same issues as those you described (long ventilation run and lots of condensation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House