Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ordered RTA cabinets online and installed them either on their own or had a professional install them?

Can you tell me if it was a good experience? were the cabinets as nice as you had hoped? what was the cost? any pitfalls to avoid?

At this point its either that or using wooden crates for cabinets.

Thank you
PS thanks desertsun41 for all your posts on cabinets ..I've found them very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM

149 posts, read 439,242 times
I actually deal cabinets and the type I have take about 15 to 20 minutes to assymble and are very high quality.

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-19-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Has anyone ordered RTA cabinets online and installed them either on their own or had a professional install them?

Can you tell me if it was a good experience? were the cabinets as nice as you had hoped? what was the cost? any pitfalls to avoid?

At this point its either that or using wooden crates for cabinets.

Thank you
PS thanks desertsun41 for all your posts on cabinets ..I've found them very helpful.
Thanks for the compliment. You must have missed my rant on KD (knock down) cabinets. They are almost all Chinese made junk laden with formaldehyde which is a dangerous chemical you do not want around kids let alone yourself.

The best ones I know are or were Mills Pride which are American made. They were distributed exclusively by Home Depot. No more. HD has since dropped Mills Pride which had no other outlets so they sold the company to another who changed the name.

Why do you think you cant afford anything else? Maybe you have not gone to the right place for the right product.

Just remember, as with every product on earth, you get what you pay for with cabinets too. Buying cheap cabinets will not improve the value of your home like a quality one will.

What is your budget. Can you provide a picture of your kitchen here?

Last edited by desertsun41; 12-19-2008 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 18,872 times
I do not go for ready to assemble kitchen cabinets because I am not really aware of the materials that were used in making these cabinets. They maybe unsafe, even the paint (chipped off paints), it can cause plumbism or lead poisoning. We don't know also the quality if they would last a long time or not. Sometimes, cost is not the only thing that matters but also safety of your family and you. San Diego closet is one of the companies I know that offer good and quality products and services.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Last year we put in cabinets from Ikea in our laundry room. So far I am extremely happy with them. It's my understanding you can order them online in addition to at the store.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM

286 posts, read 1,366,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollivee View Post
I do not go for ready to assemble kitchen cabinets because I am not really aware of the materials that were used in making these cabinets. They maybe unsafe, even the paint (chipped off paints), it can cause plumbism or lead poisoning. We don't know also the quality if they would last a long time or not. Sometimes, cost is not the only thing that matters but also safety of your family and you. San Diego closet is one of the companies I know that offer good and quality products and services.
This is a good point, however, since Pb, or lead, laws have changed drastically in the last 20 years in the US and overseas, the risk of lead poisoning in 'new' cabinets is extremely low. Even considering the components of cabinets, from the glue in MDF to screws and other hardware... acceptable limits of lead are next to minutia. I wouldn't worry about lead poisoning in any new product, especially if it's a wood based product.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,512 times
My son bought some RTA cabinets Mod Cut. They are really nice, and the reserve collection
has the dovetail drawers, with very nice undermount drawer glides. They were very nice to work with,
and they are beautiful. He's 20, and put them together himself quite easily. His kitchen is beautiful!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-09-2011 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: New Member posting company name.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,423 times
I was dealing with Domain Cabinets….they are horrible. The owner has really horrible bed side manners. She thinks she can walk all over the customer and talk to you as if you worked for her, this is all before we signed anything...thank God!!! I can't imagine the nightmare it would've been had we bought and something went wrong. They started our "design" which we paid for but was it was all wrong, measurements were wrong, style was wrong...they use cheap software that even I (only home owner not pro) have a better one installed on my PC and it only cost me $99. Very unprofessional and not customer oriented company...They raised their prices by almost double and claimed the manufacture moved…yeah, even the Chinese company she dealt with before had enough of her so now she is working with someone in the US….quality of his sample was terrible what does that say about what your cabinets would look like??? Too many imperfections that she claimed were nicks when they brought it to the warehouse…Lady! nicks don’t have the same white color all the way through, sell that to someone naive!!! I would not recommend them to anyone, not even my foe!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
My issue with any online purchase of a product is what if I do not like it.

Returning an item to LL Bean or Zappos is a whole different matter then returning 12 boxes of RTA cabinets especially to a company I do not know.

Personally as much as I buy online, I would not be buying RTA cabinets unless I knew the company and the quality of the product.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
In my last house we put in Ikea kitchen cabinets and were decently happy with them. It depends on your expectations and which doorstyle you pick as to your ultimate level of happiness.

they had some great drawers and drawer glides, much better than anything else I saw at that price point and some handy accessories. I suggest one of the wood doorstyles, I had finish issues with 1 of the doorsyles I was using (Lindingo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House