Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 03:39 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,040 times

Advertisements

A neighbor of mine used Glass Doctor to add a glass window panel to her existing front door but I didn't have the courage to ask her how much it cost. I have priced doors at Lowe's and Home Depot and know it costs the price of the door plus installation. Has anyone just had glass added to their door and is it less expensive than buying a whole new door? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 06:17 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Yep, it can be cheaper.

I know a lady that wanted a full glass front door inside a storm door. Door was fiberglass.

Replacement was not a good option. It was in a mobile house, tough to get a proper replacement and they are not cheap.

We found a local hardware / builder supply house that had kits to do about any modifications desired. She delivered them the door with instructions. They did the cut out, supplied the glass, did all the rest of the installation. Did an excellent job, IIRC final price was like $90, that included the labor and all materials. Can't touch a new door for that money. The owner had to do the delivery, pick up, remove / rehang door.

Check around with your local hardware or builder supply type shops. Easy to get the door off, just pull the pins. Most places will probably want to do the work in the shop, not on site.

Ask around, I would not expect much from the big box type stores. Lots of hardware stores do window, screens, door, glass, like work, part of their way to make money in the back room. Some contractors might be able to do it.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
You're talking about cutting a window into a door that is now a solid door, correct?

If that is the case, there are a lot of variables. A lot of doors are not solid-core, and would be very difficult to do that to.

On the other hand, if you have a solid wood door, it's very likely that installing a window in it could be "relatively" inexpensive - almost certainly less expensive than replacing the whole door.

By the way, I'd suggest you go ask your neighbor lady about her door. Pay her the obvious compliment of how nice her door looks - as evidenced by the fact that you want to do the same thing - and ask her if she minds telling you how much it cost, and who did it. It could be a really nice time of visiting with her.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Don't forget overhead (garage) door companies also. I used to work for one and we were always cutting in windows in existing doors, both garage type and also regular door type as well. They may have access to larger glass panels and designs, or will do it with owner supplied materials. Most exterior doors are solid core, but you can do it on a hollow core also; it just takes more work to do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House