Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a home in Florida that I plan on replacing the hot water heater next time I'm down there. The house is all electric. It currently has a 40 gallon electric water heater.

I am thinking of replacing it when I return down there in May. I like the idea of a tankless unit, only because of the space it saves in the garage. I've installed gas tankless units up north here, but I'm not sure about the electric ones.

In Florida the cold water temperature is not nearly as cold as what we have up here, so it would not need to raise the water temp as much as a northern home would need.

I know that a tankless unti takes a lot of power, (3 double pole 40 amp breakers), and that you need a 200 amp service to do this.

I am just looking for any opinions from anyone who has experience with a electric tankless whole house water heater, (like a Bosch), especially from a southern state like Florida.

Thanks, Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
I also come here looking for someone with experience with a tankless hot water heater. We are doing a major remodel and the tankless units have my interest. We could go either electric or gas.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
If you can, go with the gas units. I've installed the Takagi TK-3 units before.
My problem is that in my Florida home, we have all electric.

Frank D.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
We are having one installed next week (Bosch), so I can't give you any experience as yet. According to research and our builder it will be more energy efficient in long term although initial cost is high. They have had good experience with units they have installed and only positive comments from customers.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Frank, even if you're utility company doesn't provide gas, you can have it installed.

Look in the yellow pages for a local distributor. They can bury a tank in your yard for gas appliances.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are having one installed next week (Bosch), so I can't give you any experience as yet. According to research and our builder it will be more energy efficient in long term although initial cost is high. They have had good experience with units they have installed and only positive comments from customers.
After a few weeks, be sure to come back here and let us know all about your experience with it.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
------They can bury a tank in your yard-----

"bury"?????????

In our state it would be illegal to bury a LP tank and you would be considered nuts for even thinking of doing so.

Are there no safety regulations in Georgia or Florida?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
If you can, go with the gas units. I've installed the Takagi TK-3 units before.

Frank D.
I wasn't sure - you had installed the gas units or had used the gas units in your home? If so, how did you think it worked?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,015 times
Quote:
Hello all,
I have a home in Florida that I plan on replacing the hot water heater next time I'm down there. The house is all electric. It currently has a 40 gallon electric water heater.

I am thinking of replacing it when I return down there in May. I like the idea of a tankless unit, only because of the space it saves in the garage. I've installed gas tankless units up north here, but I'm not sure about the electric ones.

In Florida the cold water temperature is not nearly as cold as what we have up here, so it would not need to raise the water temp as much as a northern home would need.

I know that a tankless unti takes a lot of power, (3 double pole 40 amp breakers), and that you need a 200 amp service to do this.

I am just looking for any opinions from anyone who has experience with a electric tankless whole house water heater, (like a Bosch), especially from a southern state like Florida.

Thanks, Frank D.
I have Bosch electric,It started to leak after two years, I called them and they replaced under the warranty, other then that,it works good, it can be a tough to adjust the hot and cold when you take a shower, but no big deal, I have well water, and it is cold,it has no problem heating the water.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------They can bury a tank in your yard-----

"bury"?????????

In our state it would be illegal to bury a LP tank and you would be considered nuts for even thinking of doing so.

Are there no safety regulations in Georgia or Florida?
Propane suppliers now can provide tanks designed to bury underground, and it's becoming quite popular.
No, you don't just dig a hole and drop in your existing tank. You have to have one designd for such purpose.
Check your local dealer, I bet a properly designed tank is legal.
I have NG, but if propane were my only option, I would want it buried and out of sight...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House