Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM

204 posts, read 580,755 times

Advertisements

Although I can not name the system I need some help. We have a system installed in our house from a previous owner. It is not monitored by the company, for 2 reasons, I am told I need a land line and second I just don't have the extra to pay them each month. However, it is in the house and can be set for door chimes when I go to bed and for whatever, it will sound just no one will come. However, in the last month three times it has given a constant chirp at night and says firecheck in one area. We have checked all and it doesn't seem to have any danger happening. However I have to get up each time and turn off the chirping. It is not an intermittent chirp like a smoke detector battery. It is the system box that makes noises not the detector. I am afraid to call the company as they will prob want to send someone out and tell me to pay for their services. I don't necessarily want them to take it out just make noise stop. And it is unpredictable but it does seem to be when the rain is outside. Strange I know. If anyone could DM me and see if you can offer advice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 852,258 times
If any of the sensors run on batteries, you might want to check if they need to be replaced. Some units are linked to the smoke detector(s) as well so if you had the monitoring service, it would alert them of a fire in the home. If the problem only exist when it rains, one of the window/door sensors might be loose and shorts when it's wet however that would set the alarm off rather than just chirp.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
yeah thats just an alert. sometimes the battery need replacement or the clock need resetting after a long blackout or you set the alarm off once then it dialed to the programmed emergency phone number but could not reach it. that would cause the alert. you need to check the user manual on how to get the error code. you can also get the model number and check here for downloads http://panelguides.com/panel-guides if you need more info about your system

Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I'll go along with the battery idea. I just had one smoke alarm that began chirping only at night, when the temperatures in the house dropped. When a battery is dying, the circuits can become unstable and go into a fault condition with only minor sensor fluctuations.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
This is happening at my son's house too. Even though you aren't signed up for monitoring, the monitoring company sends out a signal a couple of times a day to check the system. This is what is causing your chirping. There is no way of stopping this unless your alarm is diconnected from the power source.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
This sometimes happens when the electricity goes out too. If this is the problem, you'll have to hold down the reset button until the system resets itself and you'll no longer hear the beeping.

As for security systems, there are ones now that use cell towers to call a security monitoring company. Depending on what company you go with, you should be able to get rates around $15 a month with no long term contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House