Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,829 times

Advertisements

In our new construction home, it was pre-wired for home security by company A. We did not buy any equipment at the time.

If this is the case, can we use that wiring if we decide to go with Company B for our system, or is it just like starting over from scratch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,345 times
A lot of companies will offer monitoring service on another company's equipment. What I don't know is if you have to use the originating company first in order to set up the system (that's what we did). I guess you'd have to call Company B and find out if they do set up on competitor's systems. I'm pretty sure, though, that most companies will monitor another's equipment. Most of them operate on the same technology.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM

112 posts, read 851,912 times
^I don't believe you're obligated to get the system monitored therefore you can opt to go with any monitoring service. Usually in a new home construction, the builder finds a contractor to install all of the alarm systems. Just because it says Brink or ADT on the keypad doesn't mean you're obligated to use them. Once you settle on the home, have the installer walk you through the alarm system functions. Then, you can call around for the best rates/monitoring service and tell them to come out an activate the system. The system is still warrantied by the builder/contractor for the 1st year however that doesn't have anything to do with the monitoring service.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
As far as equipment is concerned, I would be extremely surprised to learn there was any reason one company would be unable to use the wiring of another. Unless you have a contractual obligation, there should not be a problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,829 times
To be clear, I have the WIRING in my house, but have bought no hardware in terms of keypads...they are just wires terminated with caps that can be hooked up to actual things like break detectors, motion detetctors, or a keypad...so it sounds like this should be usable with any service.

But along these lines I was wondering also if this is advantageous to a company to use the wiring that's there, or if they will come in and do their own install how they would prefer? Does this make their life easier? It must...right?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM

200 posts, read 1,066,974 times
Company A only warranties the existing setup for a year(new house). in my house, its everything including the sensors, communicator, panel, etc. It will void any 'warranty' (you dont need any anyway) if you go with another company for monitoring. this is the same scheme from the garage door/garagedoor opener purchase and installation). its better to get Company B to install the sensors, maybe wiring too as part of the deal so that they offer their own warranty on your setup and not be pointing fingers later. wireless systems are available so you dont have to worry about all that

Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times
We had some wiring done by company a at a discounted rate and we agreed to sign up for monthly service for 2 years in exchange. We never signed up and they never called so I got lucky. Many neighbors did complete their contractual obligation and then switched co's with no problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 AM

337 posts, read 826,232 times
Yes, you can go with whatever company you want. I just went through this and they had no problem using what was here.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Yes! You can use anybody you want.
But the pre-wire could have some limitations as to how much is available (options).

Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 16,955 times
Has anyone used the pre-wire to setup their own security system?

I have a new home which is pre-wired (i.e. two monitoring devices) no security system. I dont want to go with a Brinks or ADT as Im not sold on the value monitoring and having then call you when your alarm turns on. Has anyone added their own security system (DIY) using existing wiring? If so Id like to understand your experience, system selected and difficulty to integrated the existing wires. I want to utilize as much of the wiring as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House