Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,758,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ok folks, we got an offer this afternoon ... a completely bullhockey lowball plus benefits offer. I'm steamed.

They are offering 15K below list, PLUS (!!!!), they want us to hand them 3K in cash at closing PLUS (!!!!!) they want us to completely replace the concrete step outside ... I don't mean fix or patch it, I mean, demolish, regrade and repour!

I don't even know what to counter!
How does that go with the comps? Where I sold (metro DC), closing cost help has become very common again. I gave $8500 (3%) back, my friends are giving $7500 back. :\ That was our second offer. The first one offered $45k under list and asked for $10k back! (total of 15% off). Annoying since we were priced exactly with comps. What really ticked me off is that my agent "reminded" me that I'd be able to ask for the same thing when we bought. Yeah well, people in this area aren't doing it. *grumble*

Also, what % off are we talking? <5% total? Thats not a that bad of an opening offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
How does that go with the comps? Where I sold (metro DC), closing cost help has become very common again. I gave $8500 (3%) back, my friends are giving $7500 back. :\ That was our second offer. The first one offered $45k under list and asked for $10k back! (total of 15% off). Annoying since we were priced exactly with comps. What really ticked me off is that my agent "reminded" me that I'd be able to ask for the same thing when we bought. Yeah well, people in this area aren't doing it. *grumble*

Also, what % off are we talking? <5% total? Thats not a that bad of an opening offer.
It's not the worst offer ever, but the conditions are idiotic. We've given them 2 options in a counter ... keep your fingers crossed! Their offer is way off comps. We priced a little high (we just went on the market 2 weeks ago), but not outrageosly over.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,951 times
It wasn't the houses we were looking at that were scary. It was the agent showing us around. He had severe GAS!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,494,957 times
Last April I went house hunting, before we decided that the prices were still too high for us to buy. So we come to this house that looked nice from the outside, and our agent told us that 5 young guys-college age, were renting the house. So we were expecting a mess because...well, you know guys without a woman!! and young guys to boot who probably only had two things on their mind: s e x and drinking.

So we walked in and were absolutely flabbergasted. The house probably was super nice-it was large and completely tiled...but it was so TRASHED that I couldn't really see past it. There was dog**** on the floor- a couple of piles, coming from the KingKong sized mastiff that greeted us as we came in (tenants were not home, she had the key from the out-of-state owners). There was trash literally over any spare inch you could fine. Flies buzzing around the old food on the tables, floors and counters. There was food so old that it was basically crawling around saying hi. There was underwear in the sink and s**t still left in the toliet, unflushed. We were trying not to crack up, as we were all taking pictures so that we could laugh about it later. There were demon masks up on the wall. As we're talking outloud about it...we hear a sound coming from behind a doorway. We shut up, tiptoed through the jungle, and quietly tried to open the door, to find it was locked. The next thing we are hearing is moaning...and there are obviously people in the bedroom having s e x!
Needless to say we were turning red from holding in our laughter and ran out of there!

That was the worse house we had went too, but it is appalling about how many houses just were not ready for us to come and look and actually want to buy.

HELLO....no, I don't want to see crusted food leftover on your dishes, in the sink...I don't want to see tendrils of hair all on the bathroom floor...closing hte shower curtain is NOT making sure the tub is clean....mold is NOT decorative....painting over an old leak is NOT fixing the damage done-I can still see the spot you idiot...if your screened in lanai has a hole in it-it is not longer screened in as now bugs are coming all through it and I just got bit!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
When we were house-hunting before we bought our current house, my wife went to an open house where the toilet in the master bedroom was right in the room with the bed; NO walls...

Old 04-22-2007, 02:31 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 189,098 times
you all made me laugh!!!!and what a great laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
Somehow I can't help but consider the people who are in the midst of emotional and relationship meltdowns... we would surely consult a lawyer in such a situation. But imagine if that were thought to be completely out of the question financially....might a woman with little ones in tow gain some control of her future by scaring off the prosective buyers if all she stands to gain from the sale is breaking even and essentially leaving the situation homeless? There are great protections in place for such women through legal proceedings and it is customary for them to retain use of the home while the children are being raised. So if that is a general expectation how else might that isolated woman bring about this outcome if the husband wants nothing more than to oust her and in doing so, cut all ties, financial and otherwise? Is it not at least a little bit sad that throughout this discussion no one commented upon the wellbeing of those living in such states of dispair and resulting disrepair? How much damage would you have to suffer over how many years to be brought to the point of living in that way?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM

311 posts, read 1,377,492 times
When I was house hunting in New Jersey, my realtor brought me to a house that that made no design sense. There was a water tank in the middle of the front porch. Opening the closet to the bedroom, I found the hot water heater. The best part though was the furnace in the corner of the living room, covered by a screen.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,343,612 times
Well now I am feeling better !!

Lets see one of the first homes we looked at the mans under wear were everywhere!! Looked like he came home from work dropped his drawers and there they laid!

Another house the people were home .. they didnt want us to turn on lights - they didnt have time to dust - WTH?? lol they didnt have time to do the dishes ..or flush the toilet either .......then invited us to dinner - umm NO!

Another house the owner was there pushing us to buy...... My legs instantly felt like something was crawling on me .. we went back out and my white socks were covered black - yep fleas!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,154,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Thank-you for saying that.

You know, I have ~never~ understood the "we're just renting so let's just live like pigs" mentality.
Me either. I don't like living in filth whether it's my own home or one I'm renting. I just can't live that way. Hell, I even asked for a broom vac for Christmas (and got one) so I can REALLY get every speck off the landlord's hardwood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House