Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Looking for tips/tricks with a rug doctor. Did a search on here and there were not any threads here on the subject that I could find, just general recommendations for carpet cleaners.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing it'll be around $40 or so for the machine and chemicals, my grocery store rents one right around the corner so getting it won't be an issue.

We had family over and their dogs peed and threw up on my carpet so I want to get rid of those stains too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
I used one, several times. It works GREAT. Here are some tips:
1) use the rug shampoo. It works better than laundry detergent. Not quite as foamy.
2) Rug doctors come in two sizes. The smaller size it easier to use, but you have to empty it and re-fill it more often. Use the smaller size.
3) After washing, make sure you rinse, twice. Also, go over the carpet one or two times when you are done without spraying in more water. The goal is to suck out as much liquid as you can.
4) The rug doctor gets close to the walls, but doesn't get the last 1/2 inch. Get the attachments if you want to get close to the wall--then you have to get on your hands and knees. I normally don't do this--to much effort.
5) If you move furniture, put aluminum foil under the legs when you put it back. This prevents any color, rust, or wood stain from staining the carpet.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Interesting OK thanks for the tips, I assume they have the shampoo for use with the RD where you rent it?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Interesting OK thanks for the tips, I assume they have the shampoo for use with the RD where you rent it?
Yes, and make sure to get some anti-foam too, it helps keep the soap from getting too sudsy.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
One more tip. Make sure the bottom of the machine is clean. Even if it looks clean, wipe it off anyway. I used one and it left rust colored stains all along my light carpet which couldn't be seen until it dried. Turned out the previous renter never cleaned the bottom and while it looked ok to me it wasn't. I complained to Rug Doctor and after having two inspectors out to survey the damage all I got was a refund for the rental.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
The tips offered by the others are right on. I've had good luck with the Rug Doctor.
Remember, the thing is heavy - very heavy. I actually hurt myself lifting it from the car. However once it's in place, it's easy to use.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

40 posts, read 565,418 times
Yes... I did rent Rug Doctor and it really works, as long as you follow all the above tips. Allow me to add a tip of my own. Spend a few extra bucks and purchase their Heavy Traffic Areas Pre-Treatment Spray. Spray on the heavily soiled areas and let it soak for a while before going over with the machine. It lifts all the stains and grease off the carpet so that you can completely clean the area in one or two passings. The one time I did not use the pre treatment, it took me three times more work, time and water to achieve the same results. I now have my own carpet steamer of another brand but I still use their pre treatment spray every time I clean my carpets.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Can you use it on furniture?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Can you use it on furniture?
Yes, if you rent the upholstery attachments. Make sure you wash the brushes under the sink before using them on your upholstery. Also, do not over-wet the upholstery. Use lots of dry suction and a little bit of water. Otherwise, if you use too much water the upholstery will never clean up right. Try it a few times, and you will get comfortable with it.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,597 times
We just bought a rug doctor, a new one (not a used rental). It has paid for itself already. Be sure to buy the anti foam, it keeps the foaming under control. And yes, do go back over your cleaned carpet and do a plain water rinse, followed by several passes just to suck up water. The drying time is cut way down by this. I wouldn't use foil under furniture legs though. I just clean half of a room at a time instead. But if you do have to put your furniture back right away, cut up a shower curtain and use that. No chance at all of a reaction with plastic. Sometimes foil will have a reaction and could cause stains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House