Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 AM

563 posts, read 1,786,788 times

Advertisements

We are getting two sets of French Doors, they are wooden with glass squares in them. we have a wireless alarm system, and there are two types of devices I can put on the doors:
  • externally door/window contact - this is a magnet and sensor that are glued to the outside of the door. the sensor is 2.5"x1"x0.5", and magnet is much smaller.
  • recessed door contact - this is a cylinder shaped sensor that requires an ~0.75" diameter hole to be drilled into the inside of both doors. THe depth is ~3" for one side, 1" for the other.
Obvious for aesthetic purposes, the recessed door contact is the desired solution, however I'm wondering what issues I could have. As the doors are wood framed, I could easily mis-drill, and ruin the door, I assume I could put the door out of warranty as well. But, this is what it is designed for I guess?

I could do the external contacts, I would paint them to match, and probably put them 6" up from the foot of the door, then it would not be noticeable, but there still is risk of damage, plus I would have to glue them with some sort of silicone adhesive, if I ever had to remove them, I assume it could be messy with the paint/wood peeling off.

Should I be at all concerned about doing the recessed door contact? For you pros out there, do you commonly see this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Hire an experienced alarm installer and the wiring/contacts can be hidden, job done right, and no problems with false alarms.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:54 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Recessed contacts for sure-
They won't effect any door warranty issues-

Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
I replaced my two sliding doors with french doors. I ordered two contacts on line for a few bucks and they were simple to install. Mine were wire, so I extended the wire a couple of feet and put the sensors in. It's a 1 on a difficulty scale of one to ten...

Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Recessed contacts can be purchased with as small a dimension as 3/8 and 1/4 inch. Hire a local installer that can do the job. I've done hundreds of them. For people who wanted them for pool alarms and security systems
Pm me if you need some help. I'm nowhere near you but I can describe the whole process for you.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM

thanks for everyones help! I can do the job, I just need to drill a 3/4" hole for about 3" into two sets of brand new French doors. No pressure!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
thanks for everyones help! I can do the job, I just need to drill a 3/4" hole for about 3" into two sets of brand new French doors. No pressure!
My suggestion is this

Get a new paddle bit to start the hole. Only drill the hole as deep as you need for the sensor to sit in. Sort of drill a pocket for the sensor. You want a paddle bit to get a nice clean hole to start with so you have nice clean edges. You can't use a normal metal bit. You'll peel the edge and the grain of the wood will catch and splinter. Then you can move to a smaller longer 3/8 drill bit for the wire. You can angle it to get to the drywall right above the. Door casing.
Good luck. LMK if you have any questions before you drill. I strongly suggest you use 3/8 contacts. 3/4 contacts are made for metal or wood commercial doors for the most part. Rarely are they used in residential doors.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
I have Honeywell/Ademco 5818 wireless transmitters in all our entry doors. The transmitter is the long part and requires a 7/8" diameter hole. The magnet requires a shallow, 1/2" diameter hole. I drilled the larger hole in the door frame and put the transmitters in the door frame, then drilled the much smaller hole for the magnet into the edge of the door.

I wouldn't try to put the transmitter in the door. If one door must always open before the other can open, put a single contact on that door (that's what I did on our front door). If the doors can open independently, I'd probably use two contacts, rather than put the transmitter in one of the doors and the magnet in the other.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 PM

thanks Mediocre, as these are French doors, transmitter must go into one side of the door. fortunately, my units are 2GIG ones, and look just like yours, but are slightly smaller (3/4" diameter), so I have a little more room for error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House