Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:16 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

Oops- posted as you were making your final post.

Good decision. And no I don't think the spigot turns back on Apr 1. Unless you are a civil engineer or road contractor- in which case it is Happy Stimulus to You.

Previously posted-
Dear gawd!!!

I think we could argue over the specifics of what caused these problems but all seem to be in 200% agreement- RUN!

I think the stucco probably is related to a cracked slab or shift in the foundation and simply occured at the sliders or windows because that is where there was already a brak in stucco to accept the shift. Also- I hat to see stucco immediately abutting another material unless it is applied over CMU or masonry which I sincerely doubt is the case. Also- typically they should provide scoring in the stucco so that a place & direction is provided for when the stucco cracks and allows for a quick fix- they obviously didn't and patching jagged cracks is a loosing battle.

I'd also be concerned with the lack of flashing at windows. Maybe that flies in the desert but it's unimagineable where I am.

As far as the interior- if that is what they left exposed you can only imagine what is going on in the construction that is hidden by drywall and flooring.

Sorry- but as the saying does nothing ventured/nothing gained. However I am a little concerned that your realtor had no issue with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
Hey just getting on. Thanx for all your comments everyone, I really appreciate. it.

desertsun41

Thank you! I do not know who built this home. It is in Pinon Hills, Ca. It is not a tract home. There are 2 of them. Like I said all this is new to me. Yes the home itself did look nice. But I was trying to look past that and look at all the details. I was very concerned about all these cracks and inconsistency's which is why I asked here.

I appreciate all the expert advice. Thanx for clearing all that up. The agent tried to tell me it was just "finishing work" that didn't get done.

Yeah I don't know if I mentioned the carpet or not. But I noticed a huge line thru it where my agent was standing.

The sliding glass door? Yeah that we had a hard time just opening and closing it!

Yeah that is what I keep thinking, there is supposed to be an inspector, but what if they didn't do their job?!?

I drove by a different new house today and specifically looked at the windows, I didn't see ANY cracks!
if the finish work is this bad, imagine what could be lurking underneath. Same with the others in the same field of work Do Not Buy This Home. I would be ashamed to have my name, or my company's name associated with the home, even though I only produce the plans that the builders use to build the home.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
As cheap as some of the materials and workmanship seem to be I'm amazed that it's not a tract house (unless the other one in the neighborhood that was mentioned is an exact copy). Aside from the foundation, what could cause cracking like that? Bad framing?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
I agree that the cracking associated with the windows is probably a lack of headers.... for a brand new, never been lived in home to be presenting with such issues is very disheartening...

sure glad you changed your mind! Looks like you'd have been owning a Money Pit with that one.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
Thank you everyone for the comments. Yeah it sent off alot of red flags with me so I knew if I asked here someone would be more knowledgeable. I appreciate it. I sent my agent a big NO email this a.m. and even included desert suns comments. I took out the realtor part though. LOL

scubasteve
Quote:
As cheap as some of the materials and workmanship seem to be I'm amazed that it's not a tract house (unless the other one in the neighborhood that was mentioned is an exact copy). Aside from the foundation, what could cause cracking like that? Bad framing?
Is bad framing fixable? ugghhh. I just couldn't believe it. Every single window and light fixture outside was this way. Someone really screwed up. There is a twin on that block. I walked over there and looked at a few windows and they didn't seem to screw up as bad as this house.

Yeah it is not a tract home.

mrpeatie

Quote:
Good decision. And no I don't think the spigot turns back on Apr 1. Unless you are a civil engineer or road contractor- in which case it is Happy Stimulus to You.
The realtor board people are saying the moratoriums on foreclosures should be over and implying there will be alot of houses on the market. I don't know.

Quote:
I think the stucco probably is related to a cracked slab or shift in the foundation and simply occured at the sliders or windows because that is where there was already a brak in stucco to accept the shift. Also- I hat to see stucco immediately abutting another material unless it is applied over CMU or masonry which I sincerely doubt is the case. Also- typically they should provide scoring in the stucco so that a place & direction is provided for when the stucco cracks and allows for a quick fix- they obviously didn't and patching jagged cracks is a loosing battle.
Thanx for all the comments. Yeah the rental I am in now has a crack here or there but the window doesn't look like it is going to fall out!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Is bad framing fixable? ugghhh. I just couldn't believe it. Every single window and light fixture outside was this way. Someone really screwed up.
Not without putting a lot of work into it. The framing hides behind the drywall, so guess what gets to come out... IMO things like defective or damaged door frames can be fixed without too much of a headache, but if the lumber in the walls bows out or changes dimension too much you're looking at a lot more work. The job itself (swapping out a bad piece of lumber) isn't so bad, it's just getting there and the cleanup that multiplies the cost by 10.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
Thanx. Yeah that house seems like a nitemare. I can't believe they would be trying to sell it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House