Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM

550 posts, read 497,799 times

Advertisements

We are upgrading some kitchen items. (Faucet, Sink, etc)

The prices from Faucets Direct and hundreds cheaper than a local plumbing supply house.

A plumber friend told me that Faucets Direct sells the same brands but they have cheaper inner parts and it's worth it to but from a supply house.

Then re recommended a friend at a local supply house.

Has anyone bought from FD? What has your experience been?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Sounds like Horse S#!T to me!

Who in their right mind would agree that the "same item" in a supply house would be of superior "value" than that at an Internet retailer?

Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
A lot of brands have lower-end and higher-end lines, but Faucets Direct usually carries both. Same model number with different innards? I doubt it.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
I don't buy that excuse either. Kohl isn't making two of the same faucets. Wouldn't be in business for long if they did.

I presume you're talking about the kitchen sink faucet too? Word of advice from experience via a DIY guy here too - study how they're installed/mounted. Angle of approach is tricky when navigating around the sink. For that reason, I personally try to stick with Kohlor brand. They are good quality and designed for easy and secure installation. It's a royal PIA to navigate a wrench to tighten a kitchen faucet, difficult at best with the specific wrench designed to do just that as well for several of the brands out there. Kohlor actually put some thought into it.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,640 times
If you're looking at Delta faucets, which is the brand that I prefer, I don't think Faucets Direct will have the best price. I found the prices on Amazon much better, sometimes about $100 per faucet cheaper. The most important thing to look for is that the faucet is solid brass construction with a finish warranty.

My findings - local supply house with showroom=highest price, local supply house with no showroom=next highest price, online through Amazon=best deal going.

I would go to the showroom and look at them and then order online. The ones that you can buy at HomeDepot and Lowes are most likely to be the cheapies with plastic parts.

I was having a plumber install them, so I didn't look at ease of installation.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
The ones that you can buy at HomeDepot and Lowes are most likely to be the cheapies with plastic parts.
This WRONG assertion is the main point of the thread.

The faucets available at places like HomeDepot and Lowes are bought
wholesale from the manufacturer in high enough numbers to allow for a low retail price.

Where they're weak(er) is that the breadth of their inventory is often limited

Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This WRONG assertion is the main point of the thread.

The faucets available at places like HomeDepot and Lowes are bought
wholesale from the manufacturer in high enough numbers to allow for a low retail price.

Meh, I don't know nothing about Faucets, but it's WELL known that the power tools that those 2 big box stores sell are, indeed, different part numbers than elsewhere (especial for the given retailer) and tend towards cheaper/lower quality construction. Many examples can be found if you care to look/educate yourself.

But, they have slightly different part numbers. The beginning section is always the same, it's the last few digits that change. If a faucet is going to be divided into higher/lower qualities/builds, the part numbers will be different. It can be deceiving, they can Look exactly the same (production on the same molds/equipment with just cheaper materials), and some (shady) places will even truncate the part number of the important part that truly identifies which product you're buying, so it's very much buyer beware.

I do always give local businesses the chance. Walk in with what it'll cost you to buy whatever it is you're interested in (tax, shipping, etc...) and ask if they can match, or even just get close, to that price. If they can get within 10~15%, I'll go local. I'm willing to pay that extra incase of an issue, missing or damaged parts, heck a question about it after the fact, getting replacement parts, etc... plus, I'd rather my money go into the pockets of people who live locally... Bezos doesn't need my money and does nothing for my local community.

I don't buy faucets from the big box stores anymore, they simply impressed me less and less until I gave up on them several years back. I now buy what might be considered "medium tier" faucets, generally Kingston Brass are my go-to brand as they have been some of the best quality for the price I've found to date and the style fits my 1930's home well.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
...different part numbers than elsewhere ...
Again... the discussion is about the SAME stock number.

But even when there are slight model # differences between different outlets...
in almost all instances it's about packaging and accessories included -or not-, and external
items like trims, but mostly distribution paths... but doesn't equate to the internals being different.

There's a lot of conjecture about the issue across all sorts of items and brands..
but I've yet to see anything from any unbiased source to dispute this.
If YOU have any.. feel free to post the links.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-02-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,621 times
I would go to the showroom and look at them and then order online.

I hope you at least leave them a tip for freeloading off of their high cost to provide a free museum to you.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

550 posts, read 497,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I do always give local businesses the chance. Walk in with what it'll cost you to buy whatever it is you're interested in (tax, shipping, etc...) and ask if they can match, or even just get close, to that price. If they can get within 10~15%, I'll go local. I'm willing to pay that extra incase of an issue, missing or damaged parts, heck a question about it after the fact, getting replacement parts, etc... plus, I'd rather my money go into the pockets of people who live locally... Bezos doesn't need my money and does nothing for my local community.
This makes sense to me. Although I love me some Amazon Prime.

I'm looking at the Grohe K-7 Kitchen Faucet specifically.

I'll have a plumber install 'cause he kinda owes me a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House