Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

I understand there are advantages to having an alarm system monitored. But in these tough economic times some people may not be able to afford the off site monitoring services.

It has occurred to me that having an alarm system with no off-site monitoring is still a step up in home security over having no alarm system at all.

It will wake you up if something happens while you are at home asleep.

The burglar is not going to know it is not being monitored when the loud alarm goes off and they will probably leave in a hurry. I suppose you could even program it to call your cell phone if it goes off while you are away from home so you could respond or call the cops.

Is this feasible? Is it really necessary to have a monitoring service?

Edit: Checking my local City ordinance it appears to allow an alarm system, without a permit, that is intended to alert only the residents.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-21-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
My house came with an alarm system already installed. I can program it to "whoop" but it won't call anyone. I'm with you, better than nothing!

We've been here 2 years and have yet to hire an alarm company

Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
There are three layers of alarm security. One, a monitored system, second an un-monitored system, and third, A sign in the yard and window announcing you have an alarm system, weather or not it actually exists.
My system is monitored, but an un-monitored system is the next best thing, and just a sign in the from yard is better than nothing...
I would guess the odds of ever having a break-in no matter where you live, is relatively small, so any level of security leaves you ahead of the game.
I installed a system when the kid was small, and after getting used to it, it just feels more secure with it.
When you get that inevitable "House creaking in the night", I just open one eye and see that the system is still armed, and fall back to sleep.
One time I didn't close the garage door tight and the wind came up, opening the door. That siren went off in the middle of a sound sleep, and I can assure you the chills run up and down your spine... I let the siren blare until I established no one was in the house.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
One of the main things I love about our monitoring system is that the smoke alarm is tied into it and when it is triggered, the fire department comes. Fires often start in the attic, garage or basement and if those areas have sensors, the fire department often knows you have a fire there before you do.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
an alarm w/o monitoring is better than no alarm.

and yes, you can purchase dialers and program them to call your cell phone (you can purchase dialers that call multiple numbers until it gets an answer).

You can also have the option to "listen in" when you're called to verify there is an intrusion.

A company called telespy makes what looks to be an ordinary telephone with a built in motion sensor that will call you if its tripped. It also has a built-in microphone that allows you to listen to what's going on.

A company called Alarm Relay offers monitoring for $9/mo (including fire). You receive no technical support though if there is a problem with your system (thus the lower cost).

Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 27,144 times
I had a call from ADT saying I have multiple alarms going off and the police were called. My system was not even on at the time. (When I told them this, they said "Well, if everyone is OK, hold for a moment while I call the police off). This felt like a scan to me - they wanted to send someone out on a service call to me. Does this make sense? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Liz

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
I agree with the alarm being installed is better than nothing. I LOVE the fact that any door being opened in the house will chime for 1 full second on all the keypads in the house. I could be in the basement or bedroom etc... and I know when someone walks in front door, back door etc...

You can even set the alarm when you're home. The interior is bypassed, and when any window or door is opened, the alarm will sound.

The smoke alarms tied into the alarm is also a plus.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Why npt as its prtty uselesss to have a alarm compny that calls you then calls the police idf you don't clear it. By that time the burglars are gone how days.I think a adible would be better in most instances as slient alarms monitred by alarm companioes that call you are prtty much useless;IMO.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'd be freaked out having a monitored system.

I've heard stories about ease dropping for employers. Scary stuff.

Never, never, never install an alarm system offered as a benefit through an employer

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why not as its pretty useless to have an alarm company that calls you then calls the police if you don't clear it. By that time the burglars are gone how days. I think an audible would be better in most instances as silent alarms monitored by alarm companies that call you are pretty much useless;IMO.
What about the CO2 monitoring, and the fire alarm monitoring, and the freeze monitoring, and the flood monitoring ...? Alarms and monitoring do a lot more today than just a "burglar alarm."

{Quote edited to correct misspellings and improve readability.}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House