Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your post validates my appreciation that HOAs aren't popular in my area. I'm amazed people think they need HOA's to resolve problems.

Where I live, everyone manages to get along fine and resolve problems without HOAs.
So true. Glad they are not popular here either, I'll never live where I have to part of a HOA.

HOA's: pitting neighbor against neighbor since inception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,894,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So true. Glad they are not popular here either, I'll never live where I have to part of a HOA.

HOA's: pitting neighbor against neighbor since inception.
OK, I understand. You have absolutely no knowledge how HOA's work...
It's OK, some of us live in nice communites...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I'd say you would be triming nhest to teh fence if it was on the p[roperty line anyway. two-three foot ois no big deal really.Also by mpowing it and maintaining it most paces allow you to control the property.If you have a problem ask the neighbor and rememebr that its not your properrty or you don't control it so don't make any use of it.If you do have a HOA the fence must be to their requirements which is what they are for;to not have these type issues. Some like them some don't.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If I build a fence on the property line, you can be assure dyou will pay half of it.
The two neighbors already have perfectly good, brand new fences. No judge in the world is going to force them to pay for your additional fence.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,426,397 times
Yes, as some on here mentioned; some HOA's are great , some ok and some "well" I'll leave that. Where I live our HOA is great , and enforce the rules for which they should. In regards to the fence, doesn't the HOA where you live require an approval "before" the neighbor actually installs the fence? If so, and they did not get approval, the HOA has the authority to have the fence(s) come down due to no prior approval. I had a fence installed and was required to make my neighbors aware that I was requesting this through our HOA, not that they had any decision on the matter, just make aware per the rules. I would think your side of the fence would be required maintenance on your part, but I would probably make it easier for myself and place rock pebble , wood chip or just dirt for low maintenance... Wish you the best ....

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,771 times
Quote:
The two neighbors already have perfectly good, brand new fences. No judge in the world is going to force them to pay for your additional fence.
OK is every one finished with your opinions ???? Well now just food for thought. ( FACT)by law if the property owner OP were to maintain the extra 3 feet for 7 years "BY LAW" the neighbor that put up the fence a 3 ft short of the property line would loose all rights to that property. the proper thing to do is as stated notifyt ther HOA, and the Neighbor that if he doesn' tmaintain that part and the HOA gforces him to main tain it that in 7 years he will no longer own that portion of his property , ( Bet that makes him move the fence to the property line), where it should have been put in the first place. check it out with county or city building and safety.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,771 times
Quote:
double post deleated

Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OK is every one finished with your opinions ????
We're all here giving opinions. Even you.

Quote:
( FACT)
You offered an example, not a fact.

Laws about fences and property lines are different in every state, city, town, township, borough, and HOA.

So, your 'facts' are really only relevant wherever they apply.

Quote:
(Bet that makes him move the fence to the property line)
The scenario you described isn't a timely solution to the problem. He could wait and move it just prior to 7 years and he wouldn't lose property.

I'd prefer to work something out in a more neighborly manner to avoid long term conflict with a neighbor.

Quote:
....where it should have been put in the first place. check it out with county or city building and safety.
My township does not permit fences to be built on property lines.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
OK, I understand. You have absolutely no knowledge how HOA's work...
It's OK, some of us live in nice communites...
So do I.
There is no need for neighbors to force rules and regulations where I live. I see you have no idea how a REAL community/neighborhood works.

I do know how HOA's work also. I have sat down and talked over ownership in several of them, I have gone over thick rule books in many others while building in them, and I know all too well how most of them work that I have seen and will never buy in an area that has one. There are plenty of other nice areas with real neighbors who actually care about the person INSIDE the house and not so much how tall the grass is in the yard, or how perfectly manicured and primped the hedges are. You can find nice very well kept neighborhoods that are close knit and caring while still maintaining their homes and yards every bit as nicely as any HOA controlled neighborhood.

Last edited by Bydand; 05-25-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,999,239 times
Goodness, a simple question posted by the OP released such a torrent of hornets'-nest-like responses!

Let's step back for a minute and forget about good neighbor/bad neighbor, HOAs, laws, etc. Let's understand the OP's frustration - what used to be a straight-shot mow along the property line with a mower now requires the additional task of dragging out a weed whacker and muckering through the tedious job of whacking around fence posts.

1) I wouldn't be a happy camper in that scenario because I really don't enjoy yard maintenance, and any added work would make me grumpy even if the fence owner was my best friend.

2) String trimmers can damage fences - wooden ones can get nicked and aluminum ones can chip -- both are "soft" and can succumb to whipping string. I know this from real-life experience.

3) If I didn't mow and weed whack those extra areas and just let them be, the view from my back door of my backyard would be an eyesore.

mrpeatie gave the best solution, to create a nongrass border around the yard on the OP's property line. The picket fence's location close to the property line is easy; with the other fence, being 2-3' inside the property line, it isn't so easy to mask the grass strip - however, perhaps the OP could plant some fast-growing bushes along that line to hide the potentially messy-looking long grass.

One question raised for me is why aren't the fence owners being good neighbors in the first place and looking beyond their noses to their own property beyond their fences? So, rather than beating up Stripes17 for not wanting to be neighborly (we do not know the circumstances so we should not judge), let's offer the OP some constructive ideas to alleviate his/her frustrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House