Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,128 times

Advertisements

I travel each week for 4 days on average sometimes for 10 days at a time but have to come home to cut the grass.

My question is are there timers that can turn on exterior lights? For instance, I have a light over my garage that I'd like if it turned on each night and off during the daytime.

I currently have a timer set for a lamp in my office and one in the living room, but something on the exterior would be nice. I am considering putting in those solar lamps around the walkway, and maybe even a pair of the flood lights that are also solar powered but haven't pulled that trigger yet.

Guess I'm looking for any suggestions, but I would like to be able to have the garage exterior light turn on and off. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
If they are on a switch they can be put on a timer. I like Intermatic personally so here are a few I have used in the past with good luck.

Digital 7-Day Time Switches | Intermatic, Inc.

Compact Programmable Timers | Intermatic, Inc.

Electronic 7-Day Astro Time Switches | Intermatic, Inc.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,540 times
Here's another option, rather cheap and easy to install. no timer needed. Turns on at dusk and off at dawn. You can get these at Lowe's, Home Depot.

http://www.watthackers.com/wp/instal...to-save-power/

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Here's another option, rather cheap and easy to install. no timer needed. Turns on at dusk and off at dawn. You can get these at Lowe's, Home Depot.

» Installing Dusk to Dawn Photocell in Exterior Lighting to Save Power - WattHackers | Save Power | Go Solar | Live Green
Remember though, place the photocell where there isn't going to be light shining directly on it or a strong reflection of light onto the photocell when the fixture turns on. Don't know how many times I have "Fixed" a broken outside light by moving the photocell so it didn't "cycle" the light on-off-on-off because of reflected light from the fixture itself.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,877,385 times
I have the innermatic that follows the sun. You set it up for your time zone, so it knows when dusk is, and it comes on one minute later ever day, so as the sun stays up longer going into spring, the light follows. As you go into fall and the days become shorter, the light turns on one minute earlier every day. So it always looks like you are inside flipping the switch at dusk every day..
You set it to go off whenever you wish. Mine is set to go off at midnight.
I have another one on my "Holiday Package", the outlet that is designed for Christmas lights. It's already set so in December when you plug in your Holiday Lights, they come on at dusk, and off at midnight.
You can do all kinds of fun things with timers... HD has them, around $30 bucks...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Remember though, place the photocell where there isn't going to be light shining directly on it or a strong reflection of light onto the photocell when the fixture turns on. Don't know how many times I have "Fixed" a broken outside light by moving the photocell so it didn't "cycle" the light on-off-on-off because of reflected light from the fixture itself.
I agree about the photocells. My neighbor has one in his driveway that works erratically. It will occasionally get caught in a pulsation where its reflection off of the eave causes it to rapidly dim and then intensify. Very annoying.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Slaor powered lights basically just charge a battery.Most are just for looks or marking boundaries than for providing light to see by.Mpost pathionghts used to light paths are transformer powered with 12 volts and no batteries.Most systems come with a light sesor switch that turn on at dusk and off at dawn. One sensor controls all lights on on etransforemr and si separate from the lights them elves so can be place. near the transformer away fro the light.Yes you can buy timers that can be wied into outside lightand are either for outside weather often used with christmas type displaces. Or you can wire one into you wiring were protected.Most thuihg depend on a clock run but the power so if electricity goes off the timing goes changes like a clock.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I agree about the photocells. My neighbor has one in his driveway that works erratically. It will occasionally get caught in a pulsation where its reflection off of the eave causes it to rapidly dim and then intensify. Very annoying.
Sounds like your neighbors light has not been properly installed. I have three outside lights all on photocell and they work like they are suppose too, installed them two years ago and no problems at all with them.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
True, A photocell can't be installed just anywhere and work properly.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I have the innermatic that follows the sun. You set it up for your time zone, so it knows when dusk is, and it comes on one minute later ever day, so as the sun stays up longer going into spring, the light follows. As you go into fall and the days become shorter, the light turns on one minute earlier every day. So it always looks like you are inside flipping the switch at dusk every day..
You set it to go off whenever you wish. Mine is set to go off at midnight.
I have another one on my "Holiday Package", the outlet that is designed for Christmas lights. It's already set so in December when you plug in your Holiday Lights, they come on at dusk, and off at midnight.
You can do all kinds of fun things with timers... HD has them, around $30 bucks...
We have our Christmas lights on a timer also, I put three lights in the house on a timer also for when we will be away from home for a day or so...works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House