Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,553 times

Advertisements

Our garage's vinyl siding is going to need a good scrubbing once the weather warms up this spring. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking some good scrubbing pads and hot, soapy water should do the trick. However, the town's water is notorious for being incredibly hard. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Is there a better alternative than using sudsy water?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
SCRUBBING IS BAD IDEA!!! I would NOT use anything that is any rougher than a SOFT paintbrush to "suds up" any vinyl siding. You probably don't even want to use a soft brush if you don't have to. A scrubbing pad is WAY TOO HARSH. Vinyl will show scratches and anything that pushes against it risks popping the locking tabs that keep it from flapping in the wind...

Hard water is not a big deal unless it has so much mineral content that you get iron stains or no sudsing action from a "no rinse" type cleaner. DO NOT use hot water. Use something like this: 32oz Hose End Sidng Wash by Supreme Chemicals - ES32H/4 - More Tack cloths and liquid sandpaper at doitbest.com It might be cheaper to get one of these: All Purpose Spray Washer by Remwood Prod Co - 12001 - More Glass cleaners at doitbest.com and then use a concentrate like this:Remwood Prod. 14001 Renz E-Z Window And All-Purpose Washer | Geroy's Building Center

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
No scrubbing. Vinyl siding has a finish on it that is abraded by scrubbing.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I live where there is hard water. Everyone has irrigation systems and if you are not careful the over spray will leave rust stains on the siding. It is also a moist area so that mold mossy stuff will appear on the siding. Depends on the direction of the house. Ours shows up on the side, the neighbor next door has it on the front. We invested in a power washer. Just make sure you don't use the wrong setting otherwise you blast the finish off.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
If a small reachable area then the bottle on the hose house wash works quite well. Also a soft scrub brush such as a car washing type brush can be used with no fear of damage.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
It depends on the contents of the water. A high iron content may leave rust stains that you cannot get rid of. High calcium may be ok if you do nto leave it wet. High lyme I am not sure. Try it in the bask and see what happens. Wait at least a couple of months (I woudl wait a season or two) to see long term effects bfore doining on the front.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends on the contents of the water. A high iron content may leave rust stains that you cannot get rid of. High calcium may be ok if you do nto leave it wet. High lyme I am not sure. Try it in the bask and see what happens. Wait at least a couple of months (I woudl wait a season or two) to see long term effects bfore doining on the front.
I believe the OP is talking about the town potable/drinking water. Are you saying there could be an issue washing the siding with it?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
There are lots of solutions in the area where they have pressure washers in Home Depot or Lowes. If you don't want to use a pressure washer, then you can just dilute the solution and do it by hand.

Don't use anything on the house siding that you wouldn't use on your car, or windshield.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I believe the OP is talking about the town potable/drinking water. Are you saying there could be an issue washing the siding with it?
Yes. My fathers potable drinking water is very high in iron. It turns dishes yellow/orange if you run hard water in the dishwasher. He has rust marks on the aluminum siding from water praying nonto the siding from sprinklers.

In California the water was so hard (calcium I think) that if we sprayed off our fence, it woudl leave a while powery coating on it. You could brush it off if you did so right away. If you did nto brush it right off, it would stick.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
There are lots of solutions in the area where they have pressure washers in Home Depot or Lowes. If you don't want to use a pressure washer, then you can just dilute the solution and do it by hand.

Don't use anything on the house siding that you wouldn't use on your car, or windshield.
I would recoomend using vinyl siding wash on my car pitn really as it has bleach content which will kil the wax just as washig powder will.I suggest a vivyl siding wash availble at home stores..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House