Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,681 times

Advertisements

We were faced with your situation about 12 years ago when we built a new house in the Midwest. We lived a year without one (not knowing anything about them until I researched what was "wrong" with our water). We bought, and had ours installed, from the local Culligan man for about $1400 total. It was still working fine when we sold the house 2 months ago. Our softener (sorry, don't recall the model) only regenerated when it needed to instead of on a set schedule (unlike our neighbor's cheaper model).

I could always tell when we needed to add salt (the unit was off-the-beaten-path in the basement, so it didn't get checked often) because of the way the water felt in the shower AND how it tasted. You'll be much happier with your water after having a softener installed......from drinking, to bathing, to washing clothes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There are many reason NOT to buy on line. These are just a few. Local companies pay local taxes. That money goes to local parks, roads, schools and fire protection. They provide local jobs, this can be traced back to the kid cutting a lawn. Local companies give to local projects. Why buy off the net and send your kid into a store for a donation?? Does that make any sense?? Oh, and when that kid can not find a job, will the people on the net hire him/her???? I think not.
Agree completely. We have recently purchased new construction and all our purchases have been made within our community. Every thing from appliances, furniture,plants, sod, shrubs etc. All local!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Agree completely. We have recently purchased new construction and all our purchases have been made within our community. Every thing from appliances, furniture,plants, sod, shrubs etc. All local!
Yep, that is what I try to do!!!! I like going to the local restaurant and someone asking, "how did the painting turn out"????

Old 07-20-2009, 11:13 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,572 times
In another forum here (San Antonio) I was asked to give other less expensive alternatives... Here is my reply to that that I just typed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ml#post9855478

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Link to Post instead of Duplicating

Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
This brings me to another thought on buying local. Local people don't try to force their product on people. Oh, sure they advertise but, again that money is spent LOCALLY. Not trying to take advantage of forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House