Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times

Advertisements

I clean Op houses so Ive tried a lot of mops. Steam mops may be okay for some but I need something thats quick so I can get in and out. Also I dont want to lug a bunch of crap around. IMO if something is too much hassle most peeps wont use it as often as they should.

What works best for me is a microfiber mop with the flat detachable/washable mopping and dusting pads. Sometimes all you need is to damp dust. Also only use enuf wet stuff to get the job done. Its hard enuf to get laminate looking good in the first place so dont make more work for yourself by cleaning clean. No need going into a big production when you dont have to.

I keep vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I spritz my mop head so its just barely damp and damp mop. If theres any bad spots I lightly spritz just the spot. The more you put on the more time youll spend getting it off. I keep several spare mop pads so I can change as they get dirty. Now if the floor is toast then you just have to do a real mop job. First I mop with vinegar and water to get the dirt. Dont worry about direction. Then I put on a clean pad and dry/polish with the direction of the "boards". Change pads if that one gets too wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
We have nine cats, a sandy yard with no lawn, and woods with lots of humus and evergreen needles.

The cats come and go as they please through a kitty door.

Our floors are laminate with throw rugs.

We have given up trying to keep things clean and only sweep and vacuum when the dirt gets distracting.

I buy a new keyboard about every three months because they love to walk on it when I'm on-line. Sometime I can shake the sand out, but sometimes I can't.
I wish I could find a protective skin to cover it.
Just a thought. When I get my car done the garage guys have this plastic cover that fits over their keyboard so they can type without getting grease all over it. Maybe that would work?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
... the garage guys have this plastic cover that fits over their keyboard so they can type without getting grease all over it...
That's exactly what I need, but I haven't been able to find one that fits my keyboard.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
I was hoping there is something out there that's like an upright vacuum that can spray a solution on the floor, scrub the floor and such it all up. Closest thing I've seen to that is a Hoover floor mate. It has mixed reviews and can't handle pet hair well. So I guess I need something like that on steroids...lol

Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I need, but I haven't been able to find one that fits my keyboard.
Wellll. Since you be buyin a new keyboard anyways why dont you get the keyboard that goes under the plastic.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I was hoping there is something out there that's like an upright vacuum that can spray a solution on the floor, scrub the floor and such it all up. Closest thing I've seen to that is a Hoover floor mate. It has mixed reviews and can't handle pet hair well. So I guess I need something like that on steroids...lol
The trick is to get the ALL the hair up BEFORE you mop. Vacuum till you think youve got it all. Then do it again. Then damp dust. THEN mop. Fur will fly if its dry. And if it gets wet it will plaster itself to the floor and hang on for dear life. Trust me I know. Ive learned the hard way.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
The trick is to get the ALL the hair up BEFORE you mop. Vacuum till you think youve got it all. Then do it again. Then damp dust. THEN mop. Fur will fly if its dry. And if it gets wet it will plaster itself to the floor and hang on for dear life. Trust me I know. Ive learned the hard way.
I just need Tim the Toolman Taylor to add MORE POWER to the Scooba!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
Quote:
I buy a new keyboard about every three months because they love to walk on it when I'm on-line. Sometime I can shake the sand out, but sometimes I can't.
I wish I could find a protective skin to cover it.

I put a piece of Saran/Reynold's wrap over my keyboard and change it every so often. Works great.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
I use the swifter wet & dry mop. Wet for spills, dry for dust & dog hair. Works great on tile & wood.

I also have a rubber bristle broom, but I'm a lefty and the handle always unscrews. But for that, that's great too. It even gathers hair off the carpet into a ball which can be vacumned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House