Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

For goodness sake. Get a cat. If you can't have an inside cat or two get an outside cat or three or four.

Cats and mice understand their roles. And they deal with it. And no one needs feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
No... Cats (that have never been mousers) do not automatically become them.

First - have used livetraps - they are easy, and humane and they do work - but yes - you have to check them a couple of times a day.

Put peanutbutter or Bacon in them - the mouse will find it. However, it works best if other sources of food are removed. The mouse doesn't need to walk into the plastic trap to get to the peanutbutter, if there's a big spoon with peanutbutter on it sitting on the counter.

My issue (*duh!*) was I forgot to get rid of the fruit - so for the two days Mr. FieldMouse was ignoring the trap - he was feasting on the nectarines/peaches on the countertop.

In addition to trapping the mouse (and if you live trap, it you will need to drive a few miles to release it)... how is it getting in? If you're in a new house and have a single entry point - it should be easy to prevent future mouse occurrences. If you're in an older house, you may have to do some extensive work to prevent future mice invasions.

And field mice (which is not a doormouse or housemouse) do not usually invade en-masse. So it is entirely possibly that one simply wandered in.

In my old house - two field mice invaded in the 10 years I lived there. Started to notice the fruit having marks on it and then saw droppings on the counter. Went to big-box store - bought live trap (mouse runs inside, then ramp flips and it can't get out). Set out trap (w/ bacon) - forgot to remove fruit. Spent evening looking for point of entry - found that builders had cut holes about 3x the size of plumbing entry into house from crawlspace. SEALED ALL HOLES!!!! Two days later removed fruit (*DUH*) added peanutbutter to trap. MOUSE! SUPER CUTE tiny little field mouse.

Drove mouse about 3 miles to local park. Released mouse. I'm sure the hawks and vultures watching from the trees were laughing at me, but I don't care. I could NOT have killed that little creature.

2nd mouse happened about 5 years later. Left patio door open 1" (accidentally) at night in the Fall. In the morning a field mouse was trapped in the sink (the stainless steel was too slippery for him to climb out). Caught mouse - repeated release procedure. (drove to same park).

Both times -- I owned at least two cats, and at least one dog. The second time the mouse would have had to run from the patio door across the family room and kitchen and up the cabinets onto the counters. I owned (at that time) 6 cats. 4 of whom were sleeping in the family room when I woke up in the morning. Not a one had even noticed that a mouse had entered the home!

I understand the arguments for cleanliness and against disease (though Hunta virus in mainly Desert SW) but I'm still not killing them.

Good luck getting rid of your furry guest!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 18,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I understand the arguments for cleanliness and against disease (though Hunta virus in mainly Desert SW) but I'm still not killing them.
The fact remains that they're not in your house anymore, so those arguments are void. Every animal in the wild is dirty and harbours disease, and IMO, should only be killed when you have no other choice. I applaud you, it is refreshing to see someone whose 1st option is to not kill them.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
We have been through 5 or 6 cats over the years. All but one hunted. We have one now that I am not sure of....shy and tending to stay out of sight with only rare occassions ventures outside.

For almost twelve years we had a feral that lived on the back poatio. Anything edible was in danger anywhere near the house. She liked any kind of protein.

At present the dog is a pomerian mix who hunts rodents instinctivly. The prior dog was spitz who also believed his role in life was rodent eradication.

At present the chief cat is a Maine Coon who hunts the back daily and anytine he can get out after dark.

I would think you really have to screw with the psyche of a cat to teach it not to hunt.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I thought that Hantavires was now found in most states. I checked and it's found in 31 states, most of the cases are in the west.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...des/episl5.gif

"...they contribute to the spread of diseases such as murine typhus, rickettsial pox, tularemia, food poisoning (Salmonella), and bubonic plague. Recent research has also shown that they carry a virus--the mouse mammary tumor virus (MMTV)--that may contribute to breast cancer in humans..." Yikes!

ADW: Mus musculus: Information

I wouldn't want to catch a mouse then have to kill it, but I do use snap traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post

Good luck getting rid of your furry guest!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i hate to say this, but what is the most humane way to do this

You can buy live traps that are the right size fo mice. Any large hardware store, Home Depot, etc. should have them. Place some cheese, meat ,peanut butter or other food in it. It's easy to set. When you catch them, just take them outside and release them.

The best known brand is Havahart. The mouse traps are essentially miniature versions of traps used by humane societies. I used one last year and it worked fine. Just be sure to keep checking it.

And thanks for refusing to use a cruel trap or poison.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
But remember that if you use this method, do not just release the mouse "outside." You must take it quite far from your house, as in miles away, or else it will just come right back.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
I completely understand you wanting to go with the most humane way - and glue traps are not it!

Honestly, you should get a cat - an adult cat, maybe from a shelter, who is active enough to want to chase mice. Or get a farm cat/kitten. I'll tell you why this is the most humane - the cat will kill/eat the mouse, yes, but in a year or two the mice will realize that you have a cat in the house (through scent) and never come back. I had mice for two years, got a mouser, no more mice the next winter!

Also, go around the exterior of your house and plug in any gaps/holes, either with concrete or that expandable spray foam. It really helps.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We had one which had set up shop under my refrigerator, half way between the dog food in the pantry and the drier lint in the laundry room...sweet. A mousetrap baited with peanut butter dispatched the little guy the first night, but if I had it to do over I would have bought a little cage and lured him in there and kept him for a pet. He was just trying to get by and had found himself a perfect little set up, poor thing.

By the way, we have two cats, but they were not aware of the mouse at all. I think a cat needs to see the rodent, it's not as though they sniff it out like a dog does.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
I had mice in my old house in the basement, and here in my garage. Mice don't come alone, they bring their buddies. I use traps with peanut butter on it. I don't want to deal with a live mice. I'm allergic to cats or I would get one. Our problem now is with a groundhog(s). It is eating my tomatoes! Mice start mostly in the fall when I set up 6 traps in the garage and there's always one in one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House