Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,302 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are considering doing a remodel of the master bathroom in our 10 year old townhouse. One thing we are considering doing relates to the shower. Currently, we have one of those shower/tub insert pieces which was there when we got there. I'd like to remove it entirely, but I'm wondering what is underneath it? I suspect it would just be a large emtpy space with a drain once we take it out. If yes, can we "easily" turn that into just a shower and forget about the tub part? We'd tile the floor and walls.

One concern I have is with waterproofing.

Any thoughts on this? Is it even possible to remove this insert piece?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Well Yeah...............

Of course you can remove it.

By some means they just screw into the wall. Probably on a flanged area which might have a covering trim of some sort around the insert. They may even have drywalled over the flange area, lots of ways to hide exactly how the unit is in there.

What you find behind it might be a big mystery up to the point of discovery. Never know what them tricky boys might do. Anything from a type of Durock, greenboard, sheetrock or just plain olde nothing.

Rebuilding as a normal tiled shower is just the standard approach to life with all its many options normally available. Reasonable DIY project with the right prep for many folks.

Lots of ways to water proof a new installation. Good installation should never leak. I like the green board, put a coat of waterproofing tar on that sucker, layer of heavy mil plastic. Layer of Durock, thinset mortar to set the tiles. About as good as it gets. Could also use some Bituthene behind the entire affair. Ain't much water going to go thru it.

Do have to think about where your hot / cold water supplies are now and how that could change and how you might get an emergency access panel into the scheme to access any plumbing once everything gets nice and tiled. Nothing like a new shower for greeting the morning. Can make it as custom as your lil heart desires.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I took out an old tub and tile in a 70 year old house and found a subfloor and wooden walls that I left there and after adding insulation, added the tile and made a shower. Probably, if it holds a tub with a potential to hold a full tub of water, the floor will be strong enough to hold a shower and you can build a shower on the flooring you have under the current tub. it's not hard to do, just make sure you leak proof it.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Schulter makes a great product for waterproofing showers called Kerdi. They even have a kit with a preformed base that fits tub diminsions. Yes, its not that cheap, but you don't have to deal with building a mud pan. You can also buy a vinyl shower base is 30x60 (tub size), so you would have the vinyl for the floor and could tile the walls. Not as elegant at a tiled floor, but a heck of a lot easier.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 64,510 times
I have a solution that I use to convert tub/showers to showers and its easier than tile. Each wall is 3/8" thick solid surface material looks like granite. the base is made from same material and is solid with drain built in 3 designs to choose from: roll in, low profile, and standard. ***Mod Cut***

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Advertising not permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House