Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 AM

948 posts, read 1,141,591 times

Advertisements

Our house is 99 built and has frequent sink clogging issues. Last time, 2 months ago, I ended up getting a snake since the issue was deep down past the p-trap. The pipe runs into the counter wall and then takes a sharp 90 degree turn down the wall to the drain. So to get the snake drill down the pipe gets tricky. I have a 16 ft long snake which is long enough since I cant push it down through the entire length of it as it starts getting curled up inside the pipe. We have like a triple sink with tiny garbage disposal, 7 inches wide, in the middle.

We are very careful putting stuff in the sink that we hardly put anything but water. Still it gets clogged up. Due to the weird layout of the pipe, I am not sure how to address this issue every other month. Is there a permanent solution to this other than using the snake? I guess re-doing the pipe layout will be a pain since we need to break down the counter wall etc.

We tried hot water, Draino etc. but the clog is deep down somewhere once it gets into the counter wall. I can't see how the layout is underneath, so no clue whats going on there.

Last time, I ended up playing around with the snake for a while, then use the garden hose to force down water to ensure the clog is gone, took quite a few tries before it was completely removed. Is there something else I can flush it down straight into the pipe that helps clean the clog easier?

Attaching a pic, you can see I have inserted the snake into the pipe which runs into the wall and goes down to the ground. Clog is somewhere when it gets th e ground I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen sink frequent clogging-img_1692.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
What you describe has the hallmarks of a root invading the drain. You cut it back or open a path with the snake and it regrows. The real solution is digging up the drain and making a repair. The other solutions are removing/killing the offending tree/bush or using root-kill regularly (which I don't recommend).

Old 03-08-2015, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
Pour a cup of ice melt granules down your drain once a month.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,451,105 times
If roots:Get a rotorooter to run down the drain (will go down the stack vent). Then repeated use of root kill will maintain the drain.

But since this was built in 99, should be PVC drain pipe, not tile, and roots shouldn't be in the pipe. Wondering if something was left in the pipe, or if you have a drain collapse.

If no sign of roots after clean out, pay the bucks to have a camera run down the pipe.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 PM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
House on a slab? That wall an exterior wall?

If either, or both there's a very good chance there's a broken/cracked pipe.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 PM

44,640 posts, read 61,661,969 times
If there is a large tree nearby or over the drain pipe the roots may be putting pressure on the PVC pipe and cracking it, therefor allowing roots inside it clogging the drainage.
My neighbor years ago unknowingly planted a 15 gallon tree in their front yard over the drain pipe. Last year the humongous tree's weight over the pipe cracked it open and they had to have the tree removed and a new section replaced. Costly lessoned learned.

OP you could get a plumbing company with a camera to check out your pipes and locate the problem area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House