Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times

Advertisements

CornerGuy1...got PM...yeah the light bulb went off right after I hit return. You're correct of course..the unit may have internal fuses.

Simplyaged Let me explain what we're talking about here. A major appliance such as a oven might have circuit protection built directly into the unit. In addition to that there is of course some sort of circuit protection at the main service panel located in basement/garage/etc.

The main service panel if newer will have circuit breakers which you just flip or push to reset. Older types will have fuses. There are two basic types of fuses. The screw in type can usually be visualy inspected and determined to be good or bad. The other type fuse is a cartridge fuse. It's typically 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch in diameter and about 2 inches long. It has brass type connections at each end. Generally you cannot determine by vision alone if the fuse is OK or not. In order to determiine if the fuse is good you have to check it with an ohm meter/continuity checker.
The built in circuit protection in the appliance if present will be of the cartridge fuse type. Again you cannot generally determine if the fuse is good by looking at it alone.

Now to the point of all this..... I gather you're handy etc and that's great. I don't know how much you know about electricity etc. but we are dealing with 220 volt circuits here. VERY DANGEROUS !!! If you are not really knowledgable about this stuff DO NOT attempt to do this by yourself for the 1st time. The stove should be unplugged. (unfortunatly some ranges are hardwired in). Additionally the breaker on the main service panel should be in the off position. If the individual circuit at the main service panel is fuse protected then you have to shut of the mains...the big throw switch at the service feed point. That will shut off the entire house. Flashlight ?? Then it maybe safe to remove the cartridge fuse. Then you can turn the mains back on , effect repairs etc.

The same holds true for the internal cartridge fuses in the range etc. DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT attempt to remove them without removing the power to the appliance first.

I think I read you have a friend with electrical experience. If you need to go beyound the heating element replacement and get involved with fuses etc get him/her to come over and help. A 220 volt circuit is lethal. It gives you NO warnings and it will not forgive you for any mistakes or misplacement of tools or hands. As sure as God made little green apples you can get KILLED. Get help if you aren't dam sure of what you're doing..

play safe

Last edited by JBrown; 05-01-2007 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM

585 posts, read 614,177 times
Thumbs up Got It!

Now I understand, thanks guys for straighten me out. I had already decided to let someone else do that part though. Again, I can't move the unit so no point in pushing that issue. I'll just put the elements in myself and have the hubby and his friend do the rest. Life is good!!! Electric can be bad!!! Enough said!

Thanks again. You two have been a HUGE help.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
wouldnt it be easier to buy a new oven?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
It's actually not a complicated job. There are a number of reliable replacement parts places on the net. A replacement element is between 20 to 45 dollars. For a mechanically inclinded person it's a 15 minute job. Often the hardest part is getting the old heating element retaining screw out because over the years and from corrosion they can be difficult to back out. BTW...new screws, the exact match , is generally available also. So for under $100 and 1/2 hr of work you can replace both elements and end up with a "new " oven. (not including any "clean up time"

I only went on about it at some length because I don't want anyone to get hurt. Even as a kid I was a hands on electrical and mechanical guy. I drove my mother nuts taking things apart just to see how they worked and were put together. Sometimes what seems obvious to me and other "hands on" folks is not so obvious to others who are just beginning to get their hands dirty. Just want everyone to play safe.

Last edited by JBrown; 05-01-2007 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 AM

585 posts, read 614,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
wouldnt it be easier to buy a new oven?

I do plan on buying all new appliances in the very near future, but our daughter is just starting out and we plan to give her these. I am actually glad it went out on me, she can't really afford that right now and as JBrown said it will be a new oven for her even though it's 10 years old!

If it weren't for that, it would have gone out the door the next day and a new one in it's place!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 828 times
Do you have to put the exact same element in when one blows,,mine oven is old and can't find exact element

Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 828 times
Can I get a quick reply ,,my wife really needs her oven but a new one is very expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House