Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:02 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times

Advertisements

This old house needs some windows replaced. Theres a rope that the window rides on in the frame, can anyone tell me how to take the window off these frames?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,968,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
This old house needs some windows replaced. Theres a rope that the window rides on in the frame, can anyone tell me how to take the window off these frames?
Some websites:
Double Hung Repair - Jeff Greef Woodworking

Repairing wood windows - Oldhouseweb.com

Howstuffworks "How to Repair Windows: Tips and Guidelines"

You can also find a number of how to books in most libraries that will give detailed, step by step instructions on how to remove them, replace sash cords, replace broken panes, etc....

Old 09-17-2007, 03:47 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Some websites:
Double Hung Repair - Jeff Greef Woodworking

Repairing wood windows - Oldhouseweb.com

Howstuffworks "How to Repair Windows: Tips and Guidelines"

You can also find a number of how to books in most libraries that will give detailed, step by step instructions on how to remove them, replace sash cords, replace broken panes, etc....
Thanks a bunch!

Muse

Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Boy, have I done more than my share of replacing these. Not difficult, but not fun.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default They are not worth being repaired........

As shown in those links you can remove and repair old windows. But after some point it is sort of useless.

They still leak like crazy and have all the negatives.

There used to be some replacement track jam designs that made an upgrade possible but those are much harder to find. Some methods of doing custom upgrades using routers and other materials. Essentially trying to duplicate those track type designs, you modify the sashes.

Getting them out and back in is not rocket science. Using the old pocket weights means the ropes will keep breaking on schedule. Unless it is absolutely essential from a history viewpoint, usually you look to do a modern vinyl replacement at some point. Is a quick pay back on energy costs even if you have storm windows.

Also helps to inspect the frames good once you get in there. Many times they are rotted.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Fix old windows rather than replace them. They look better on old houses, can be made very energy efficient with weatherstripping, reglazing and storm windows, and are much cheaper to fix than replace.

Also, they are easier to fix and will last longer than vinyl/aluminum/clad windows. If a pane breaks on a wooden frame single pane window you can fix it for 10 bucks. If a pane breaks on a modern window you will be replacing the entire window; good luck on finding parts in 10 years. Also most have a factory claimed lifespan of only about 20 years!

Look at the book Renovating old Houses by George Nash for very good instructions on how to repair old windows.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
Chango, don't be silly. Nobody wants to spend the time fixing old windows. Been there...

I don't like vinyl replacement windows either , but let's face it, they're good for the money.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Chango, don't be silly. Nobody wants to spend the time fixing old windows. Been there...

I don't like vinyl replacement windows either , but let's face it, they're good for the money.
I'd spend the time and money to repair my original wood windows before I shell out the cash and time to replace them with inferior vinyl that will for sure need to be replaced again at some point. It would really be horrible to decide to sell at some point and have the replacement windows begin to fail at about that time.

The house we are buying has old wood windows that we will be restoring and adding wood storms to. It's a smaller, early 1900's house but the windows go with the house and are part of the charm. The house has a built in window seat with big beautiful wood windows behind it.

Most old home people I know, meaning those that would be in the market for an old home, would prefer the old windows restored.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post

That's an attitude that would be expected from the "throw away" mentality of today's consumer culture. It's been groomed into us so people can make more money at our expense.

Vinyl windows are an excellent example of planned obsolescense. They are designed to fail in a relatively short timeframe and be pretty much unrepairable even if something little goes wrong, so that people will have to buy more down the road. You may be happy to be be a sucker to such profiteering strategies, but not me. I'll keep my origional windows; with some maintenance they will easily and cheaply outlast me, even though they are already 100 years old. I don't think that is "silly" at all.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's an attitude that would be expected from the "throw away" mentality of today's consumer culture. It's been groomed into us so people can make more money at our expense.

Vinyl windows are an excellent example of planned obsolescense. They are designed to fail in a relatively short timeframe and be pretty much unrepairable even if something little goes wrong, so that people will have to buy more down the road. You may be happy to be be a sucker to such profiteering strategies, but not me. I'll keep my origional windows; with some maintenance they will easily and cheaply outlast me, even though they are already 100 years old. I don't think that is "silly" at all.
Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House