Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM

85 posts, read 262,792 times

Advertisements

We just had a recording breaking 105 degrees here in southern Colorado. Luckily we only have a reasonably small grassy fenced backyard and some pots of flowers in the front. Although the lot is an acre not much is landscaped. I still have to water a lot. Do you put much time/money into caring for your yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:56 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
In WV? No. Rain takes care of the grass and any weeds that do come up get mowed.

It's au natural. No chemicals, pesticides or other nasty stuff.

1 hour with a push mower and /finished/.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,672 times
Just moved in and got my mower/weed eater this weekend. First run was tough since it hadn't been mowed through the close and move in but can't see it taking more than an hour or so on a normal week. Pretty small front yard. The back is rocks and weeds though so no mowing. Will turn it into a garden and compost pile soon enough.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
It takes me about 2 hours to mow and trim my actual lawn (nonstop w/ no breaks). I have a semi wooded section at the back of my property that gets overgrown with weeds so I use my DR trimmer/mower for that. That takes another hour or so. During the winter months I spend time pruning and transplanting. My yard keeps me busy.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
3 acres and over 200 trees along the border, etc.
I mow with a commercial 52" eXmark zero turn radius mower. It goes very fast.
It takes me about 1.5 hours to mow, and that much again to trim.

The Florida house has a smaller yard. I pay $55.00 per month to have the local mowing service do it all....I need to decide if when we move there I will take over that or not. Hate to pay others to have all my fun!

Frank D.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM

147 posts, read 689,310 times
We have about .25 acre. My husband mows. The previous owners did extensive landscaping, and keeping up with all the necessary cutting and weeding takes quite a bit of time. I doubt we'll keep all of the landscaping in place as it does take too much maintenance for my tastes. I think I could spend a whole day a week out there and still not make a huge dent in it. What it comes down to, for us, is it's not enjoyable. For others, like my mother and my in-laws, it is enjoyable and so they do a lot of planting and so on.

The worst time of it is in the heat. Here in NC it's nothing compared to South Florida. We had pretty comparable sized lawns in both places. My husband HATED mowing the lawn there. Here, now that it's August, it's a pain for him, but in general he doesn't mind at all.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,989 times
We just moved into our house. Our front yard is small,takes about 10 min
to mow.In back,we just had a ginormous patio poured. NO grass. Just
plantings around the border and a few raised beds on the sunny side of our
house. Hubs and I arent fond of yardwork!

Greenchili

Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I'd spend more time playing in my yard if I could. All 0.13 acres of it. I want to transform it into a little park, which goes against what the Spouse wants, which is to turn it into the 18th tee of a golf course ...

It's a slow, steady labor of love. The plan is to take one section of the yard each spring and another in the fall, and transform it. Next up is a shade garden in front of a split rail fence.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,578,618 times
well, i only have about .50 acres, but right now a lot of it is grass and my plan as time passes is to create more beds and allow the woods behind our house to creep in on the lawn area some more (i hate all that grass). So it takes me 2 hours to mow everything. That includes trimming edges when needed. Then I usually scour the beds I already have and the lawn and spray or pull any weeds, etc. I sort of stagger any bush trimming so I don't have to do it all at once - so this week I do a few in the back, then next week I do most of the front, etc. My most hated chore is reedging my beds in the spring (no borders, i do a clean lawn edge) and then mulching. Seems to take me hours upon hours!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,602 times
I have just a fifth of an acre. I've only lived here a year - when I toured the house the grass looked just fine, but I quickly discovered it had been overtaken by weeds (very common here, most people let them go I guess). So I have spent tons and tons and tons of time pulling weeds, replanting grass, in many places I've taken a shovel and pulled everything out. Then I use peat and new seed and start over. I've also planted a couple of trees, planted a huge perennial garden, taken out the prickly bushes and replaced them with lilac bushes, etc. [I did the bush removal myself even though they were bigger than me]. As far as maintenance I use a push mower and a trimmer. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I want perfect grass. I'm one of these prototypical competitive lawn types - but the rest of them around here are male lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House