Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

So, in doing my kitchen research, I came across the GE double oven, and fell in love Of course I like the look of them, but I am curious about their performance compared to other brands.

We would be looking into an electric cooktop, french door fridge w/ outside water/ice, dishwasher, double oven, and microwave. I'm not concerned about induction (believe you need special pots for that anyway, if not, then hmmm). All in all, it's probably going to run me $10k, and I'm just wondering if they are worth the money, or if there is something that is better (and maybe as pretty? haha!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Wish I could comment more, we actually only have one GE profile microwave thats about 3 years old now. works very well and we haven't had any issues with it. The rest of our appliances are whirlpool, vary from 3 to 4 years old and those have not had any problems either.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
You have poor taste in cabinets but I love your taste in appliances. Yes...buy the GE Profile products. They are nice, they are dependable and they are beautiful. Which is why I specify them in my design all the time. I do not sell any appliance and make nothing by specifying GE. Yet I will always stand by the product. Yes it is that good.

You will find some products making a higher grade in Consumer Reports from time to time but a real good quality product will always be good when they are in the great range.

For example the Bosch DW wins over the Consumer Reports people year after year but the Monogram is just as good and is a designers dream.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM

151 posts, read 798,717 times
We have all of those...it was new construction and no choice but GE, so I cannot comment as to the comparison against other brands. That being said, I am very happy with the ovens...love the convection feature and the glass touch pad. The fridge and micro are fine...fridge is roomier than my last Kitchenaid side by side which now sits in the garage for beverages, and overflow (we have 4 boys). The dishwasher was a good surprise...I really had a hard time giving up my Bosch from previous home and builder wouldn't allow me to make changes, so I went with the profile one and have been very happy. Nice and quiet and does a great job...even without using the heat element.

Good luck!

ETA: HATE the glass cooktop...but I was a gas girl and am struggling miserably with using electric and keeping the dern thing from getting damaged. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
I'm very mixed about GE Profile. That's what we have im the house we moved into about a year ago. The ovens are great and I'm very happy with them. That said, ovens are the one area I never notice a difference in. If the oven gets to the requested temperature, what else does I needneed? The important features to me are: convection, self cleaning, and timers. Those are easy to find on other brands.
Our fridge is fine, but I don't like it any more than our previous KitchenAid. Water dispenser problems seem to be somewhat common and we had one issue. We are very happy with the microwave (but were also happy with a similarly featured kenmore). We really like the dishwasher, and think that is worthwhile. I have the gas cooktop, so I can't compare to the electrics whcih seem nice, but I absolutely hate the cooktop. It takes a long, long time to boil water, and harder to keep in boiled when adding pasta and such. We are limitted to a downdraft model, and I'm about to replace an otherwise working (and expensive) cooktop with a different brand.

So, to summarize my long winded response, I'm happy with the GE Profile (except for the cooktop) but have not noticed much improvement over our previous fairly new appliances. I think it is worth the price if you like the looks and want to stay with one brand. I don't think it is worth the price if you are only looking for an oven to cook, a freezer to freeze and a microwave to do its thing. My other appliance did those just as well, and seemed to be equally as reliable.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
I think they are worth it for the look and performance. We have all the ones you mentioned in SS and they really make the kitchen and go with our "Maui" pattern corian. I haven't used the double oven or convection feature yet. The fridge has a neat feature to chill things a little colder, so if you want your milk nice and cold, you can get it pronto. I don't even know everything these babies do yet and it would rack my brain too much to try to explain some of the cooler features. Just make sure to clean the ceramic cooktop before you cook again or you could have a stuck on mess. Get a cermabryte kit.

We got an appliance allowance with new construction so came in cheaper than you quoted. We were relegated to one store for the allowance to apply and found the GE the best choice for looks, price and performance that caught our eye.

All the negative speak and hubbabaloo about SS being such a ***** too clean is overstated imo. So what if there are a few smudges! The SS makes so much more of a statement than white and I have never liked black appliances; too dark.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies - you've really helped this decision become much easier for me

Old 05-12-2009, 05:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
GE doesn't manufacture their appliances in one place so you are going to have different issues.

I have a 15 year old house that had GE Profile appliances installed. The dishwasher and fridge were nothing but problems. I ended up replacing the dishwasher in less than 5 years. The fridge I've had repaired 3x and am looking to replace it once I decide what I want to do in a remodel. The ice dispenser quit working right years ago and I never bothered to get it fixed due to cost. Easier to reach inside for ice.

I also have a double oven, microwave/hood combo, and a gas cooktop, all from their Profile line. The gas cooktop is fine though it is showing some usual wear.

I had to replace the elements in the convention oven, but that isn't unusual. The downer is that GE made them fairly difficult to replace. This should be a user replaceable item but they way it is designed, you really should have an electrician do it. It's easy to get electrocuted on the 240V power if you make a mistake. This really ought to be a user replaceable item but I guess they didn't want to add the cost for socketed elements.

The profile microwave/hood combo is OK. However the exhaust fan is very noisy and doesn't move much air. Unfortunately the way the GE is designed, it doesn't lend itself to cleaning and over the years grease has made it past the filters and is inside the oven where you can't get it out. Next time I will get a separate hood.

I realize that 15 years is a long time and what they are putting out now may not reflect this experience. I probably would not get anything from the Profile line again because while I don't mind paying money for good appliances, I don't think the Profile line was any better than their non-profile stuff.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Wife and I purchased the whole GE Profile line last night. She was armed with comparisons from all over the web to insure that we got a good deal.

We purchased the stainless steel gas range with stainless top and 5th burner and convection oven.

The over the range profile Microwave

The profile stainless dishwasher with the bottom ,center, and top washer

the profile stainless side by side refrigerator that is cabinet depth.

And the new profile washer top loader that has the hydro wash system

And the profile dryer

My wife spent hours with comparisons and was able to lock down all appliances with a five year service warranty , installations, and installation equipment with delivery at $9400.00

Needless to say the kitchen will be looking good. I appreciate everyone who participated in this thread.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM

Good deal LIC! Come back 6 months - 1 year from now and let us know how they are doing

I actually changed my mind, and am going with a different brand, but only because I can get a better deal on Electrolux, and my husband likes the Wave Touch option LOL. Just curious - what did you think of the side by side fridge? Seems like the french door/bottom freezer is more popular these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House