Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times

Advertisements

OMG...Last year after Hurricane Ike it was sooooo miserable outside because of them. I can remember picking up debris in my yard wearing jeans and a sweatshirt with the hood up and tied even though it was in the upper 80's!!! Also the power was out for 17 days so cooling off inside wasn't an option. If I remember correctly one even flew into my eye. At the time I was just THRILLED to have a house with minimal damage...in retrospect it was not a fun time to be in Houston.

Please let us know if you find anything that works well for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Mosquitoes - ha - we have airplanes in Alaska (especially large are the ones that overwinter). Actually, I prefer large mosquitoes because you can see them before they bite you. If you good, you catch them in your cupped hand and kill them before they get you. They are not to be found now - it's too cool.

My petsitter swears by a mosquito patch that contains vitamin B1. I have never tried it. For those interested, try googling it.
Never actually been to Alaska but I always heard stories and saw pictures of giant mosquitos there.

Houston certainly pales by comparison, but I have been engulfed by enormous mosquitos (some of which must have approached 1/2" in length) in coastal estuaries on some of the Texas bay systems to the point of actual fear. It isn't uncommon for cattle to die from aspirating mosquitos in these areas. There may be worse places for mosquitos, but I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day of the week.

Regarding chiggers, you can find places to acquire chigger bites in and around Houston but its a challenge. The closer you get to Arkansas, the easier it is. Hate 'em. It makes me laugh a bit when people put nail polish on the chigger bites - there's nothing in there to suffocate. By the time you develop the stylosome the chigger is long gone.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Default Mosquito Magnets do work

We live in Central Minnesota adjacent to some very low, swampy area. While the mosquito season is not as long as you have, the mosquitos here show up in mid to late spring and generally are around in droves through Labor Day or longer. We have been using a mosquito magnet (CO2 generator/vaccuum device) for the past ten or so years and it is extremely effective. Before we got it, it was miserable to be ouside unless you lathered on the DEET. We can now work in the vegetable garden which is a few hundred feet away without having to spray. Never even see them on the deck or anywhere within 100 feet of the device anymore. It takes a little while to knock back the first wave that hits in the spriing but after a week or two you will see a dramatic reduction in the mosquitos. Need to refill the 20# propane cylinder about every 5 weeks but it's money well spent!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM

851 posts, read 3,626,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
We live in Central Minnesota adjacent to some very low, swampy area. While the mosquito season is not as long as you have, the mosquitos here show up in mid to late spring and generally are around in droves through Labor Day or longer. We have been using a mosquito magnet (CO2 generator/vaccuum device) for the past ten or so years and it is extremely effective. Before we got it, it was miserable to be ouside unless you lathered on the DEET. We can now work in the vegetable garden which is a few hundred feet away without having to spray. Never even see them on the deck or anywhere within 100 feet of the device anymore. It takes a little while to knock back the first wave that hits in the spriing but after a week or two you will see a dramatic reduction in the mosquitos. Need to refill the 20# propane cylinder about every 5 weeks but it's money well spent!
What kind of device do you use?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Mosquito Magnet® Traps - Built on Science, Service & Support! | MosquitoMagnet.com

not B.S., and no, I don't work for them. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find impartial reviews/testimonials throughout the web. Keep in mind if you come across a negative review, the device is a bit sensitive and needs to be operted properly. We have had no issues with ours over the past 7 - 8 years once we took the time to adhere to the operating instructions and suggestions. We bought directly from the mfg and their customer service is among the best i have ever encountered. I can get into more detail on that if anyone would like me to.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Something like this: Sam's Club - Bite Shield Guardian Mosquito Trap - 1 Acre

It burns propane to create carbon dioxide. This attracts mosquitos to the trap and, well, traps them.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Something like this: Sam's Club - Bite Shield Guardian Mosquito Trap - 1 Acre

It burns propane to create carbon dioxide. This attracts mosquitos to the trap and, well, traps them.
In researching the different traps and control devices we found that there are several of the CO2 generators out there. Can't say why but the Mosquito Magnet reviews seemed to have the greater percentage of positive reviews. They do reference some type of patented air flow system that the other mfgs seem to not include. I believe it may have something to do with the close proximity of their CO2 exhaust and the vacuum intake baffle but I'm just guessing and it of course just might be marketing razz-ma-tazz. I do know ours works and their customer service was great.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
In researching the different traps and control devices we found that there are several of the CO2 generators out there. Can't say why but the Mosquito Magnet reviews seemed to have the greater percentage of positive reviews. They do reference some type of patented air flow system that the other mfgs seem to not include. I believe it may have something to do with the close proximity of their CO2 exhaust and the vacuum intake baffle but I'm just guessing and it of course just might be marketing razz-ma-tazz. I do know ours works and their customer service was great.
Ghengis,

I think the Bite Magnet at Sam's Club is probably a huge pile of junk assembled by 4-year-olds at a sweat shop somewhere in the Pacific Rim. I arrived at that link via a quick google search for "Mosquito Traps". I definitely defer to your experience as I have never owned one of these contraptions.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
I honestly don't remember the last time I saw a mosquitoe....

Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
I saw a link to this trap a while back:

Skeeter Bag

I have no idea how well it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House