Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

2008 gas water heater...I know you are supposed to drain water heaters if they will not be in use for a long period or the utilities are turned off.
I didn't do that simply because I had intended to get the gas on at this place
over a year ago and the water heater is in the attic above the second floor so it would have been a major pain to drain. So the water has been sitting in this brand new water heater unused for many months..I opened the hot water tap in the bathtub and the water coming out is a purple color/at times lavender??? Its NOT a FAINT color. My question is should I just run the tap until its clear ( I am not using the water for anything at this point and the Gas co still has not been out to turn the gas on). Or has there been some sort of chemical reaction that could have damaged the water heater???
OR could the color just be from sitting in the pipes...I am doubting that because the cold water is fine.

I know...flesh eating bacteria ect.

But I have let water heaters stand in the past without problems.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
This is a stretch, but.....was the house winterized and antifreeze or some other chemical put in toilets?

It's not uncommon for water sitting for long periods to discolor, mostly from rust in pipes. You will typically see orange or brown colored water.

If anitfreeze or other chemicals were put in toilets, AND, there was a defective flush valve, AND there was an interruption in the water service, there is an odd ball chance the antifreeze can siphon from the toilet tank into the potable water pipes, then make its way to a faucet.

Trouble with that, is it would siphon to a COLD water pipe and not HOT. But the water pipes "could" be reversed at the toilet. Like I said, that scenerio would be a BIG stretch because there would have to be several things all happening at the same time. I have seen it happen and got blue water from a bathroom sink (blue toilet cleaner in the toilet tank).

More than likely it is from the water heater tank corrosion and will probably flush out after enough water has been run thru it.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Flush it out and give it a try . You have nothing to lose .

Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
You have a sealed intake water line going to the tank and being sealed nothing can get inside to discolor the water. Copper or galvanized pipe is probably what you have.

The culprit is probably the drain valve/fawcett with the discolorazation backing up into the tank.

I would just run the hot water valve in the sink for a while...it should clear up after some emptying or usage. The 20-30 gals of water needs to be flushed out after a yr of non usage.

Steve

Steve

Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Okay another thing...IT STINKS OMG smells like rotten eggs (so much so I turned it OFF) and there seems to be ALOT of air in the hot water line because it surges and fades and surges fades.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You have a sealed intake water line going to the tank and being sealed nothing can get inside to discolor the water. Copper or galvanized pipe is probably what you have.

Steve

Steve
Yes, it is galvanized

Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Heh! That'll teach ya.

Your tank has -errr had - a magnesium sacrificial rod in it to prevent the interior of the tank from being corroded. Your water has sulfur compounds in it. You let the two sit in a tank in the attic and performed a chemistry experiment. You made hydrogen sulfide gas as the magnesium was being corroded into the water forming a purple color. You should get the local science class over to see the results.

First - flush the tank completely. Second - get a plumber to replace the sacrificial rod with an aluminum one. Third - go and sin with water heaters no more.

You probably didn't do anything serious, but it is funny.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,771 times
Aluminum rod is ok, but zinc one is better. I would also suggest to get rid of the developed bacteria with a proper chlorination (first remove the anode rod). To replace anode rode is DIY project, no need to call a plumber.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Thank you everyone!!!

Get your laughs now...because I WILL NEVER make this mistake again.

OMG NASTY!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmitrovic View Post
Aluminum rod is ok, but zinc one is better. I would also suggest to get rid of the developed bacteria with a proper chlorination (first remove the anode rod). To replace anode rode is DIY project, no need to call a plumber.
Zinc is OK, and if the water is kept circulating, neither would be a problem. If not, the zinc is going to be nasty and could give an overdose of zinc. Aluminum is so far down in the electron well that OD would be hard (links to alzheimer's nonwithstanding.)

If the water is purple, there may be no rod left, and there might be tank corrosion or thread issues. Many DIYers can handle that, but some can't. I'll amend my response to say - if you change out the rod, do it on a Tuesday morning with the phone book nearby in case the project turns sour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House