Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times

Advertisements

I have had both types and the next fridge I buy will have the freezer on the bottom. -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,592 times
We are building and looked at all 3 types of fridge this week. I would say I actually open my freezer as much as my fridge--but that's just me. We are going traditional freezer on top. Side by sides are a pain for things like pizzas and cooling candies on cookie sheets--things like this--also bending down isn't really appealing. I know french doors are popular and the 'in' thing..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
I think inch for inch, I can put more items in a bottom freezer drawer than I can stacking items in a top mounted freezer. I can rifle around through things with them falling out.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think inch for inch, I can put more items in a bottom freezer drawer than I can stacking items in a top mounted freezer. I can rifle around through things with them falling out.
I constantly have bruises on my feet from stuff falling on them out of the freezer!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 PM

124 posts, read 470,411 times
French door all the way! I really miss mine, and next time I need to buy a fridge it will totally be another French door. I prefer freezers on the bottom because I spend more time in the fridge than freezer so the bending issue is in favor of that arrangement.

I can't stand side by sides because of the shortage of width-wise space. I don't entertain all the time, but when I do, I want to be able to store some ready to go party platters so I don't have to run out to pick them up at the last minute or disassemble/reassemble them if I pick them up early.

Plus, we often order an extra pizza when we get delivery and there has to be room for a large sized pizza box in the fridge as well as in the freezer for the frozen versions.

Although I have to admit the freezer is not a big deal to me because I have a dedicated freezer in the garage.

If I couldn't get a French door I'd get a standard model with a freezer on the bottom. I have the reverse right now and aside from the fact that I hate having to bend down all the stinking time to get to my fruits and veggies... I keep whacking my head on the bottom corner of the freezer door when I get up. It was impossible to do that with the bottom freezer.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:50 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,585 times
Recently bought a Kenmore French door style with freezer bottom. Like it very much EXCEPT you have to push the French doors closed-they don't close on their own. There's a buzzer that goes off when the door is left open but my husband can't hear it so.....
I'd never buy a side by side style--shelf space to narrow for our needs.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM

206 posts, read 746,860 times
Those of you that love your french door, which model do you have?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Those of you that love your french door, which model do you have?
Samsung R268ABBP
26 cu. ft. French Door refrigerator RF268ABWP (26 cu. ft. white) - French Door - Refrigerators | SAMSUNG

We bought it in black, not white.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 AM

206 posts, read 746,860 times
Thanks Mike!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times
I went to the store expecting to buy a bottom freezer. I've lived in apartments all my life and always had top freezer fridges so I was looking forward to having the fridge at eye level.

But as I "used" each of the four types (top/bottom/side by side/french), the bottom freezer fridges annoyed me. The side by side, which I definitely expected to not like, turned out to be the easiest to "use" in the store, especially after altering the shelf arrangement (removing some surplus), and the least annoying. So I bought one.

One caveat: I'm a single guy, so I really don't need all that much space.

So far, this fridge is excellent! I tend to customize just about everything I do or own, and this is no exception. I took out one shelf, one "veggie container," and two or three door shelves and moved the rest of the stuff around. I took off both doors and did a little surgery on the door stop mechanisms so the doors open much wider now. Love it.

In the freezer side I've got twelve pounds of chicken tenderloins, thirty-six Sam's hamburger patties in individual Ziplocs, three large oven pizzas, several bags of frozen veggies, and everything is extremely accessible. Fridge side is also extremely accessible, which is so refreshing after crummy apartment grade top-freezer fridges. There's a huge amount of space.

I never use ice, so I've got the ice maker off, but I've actually been using the filtered water dispenser, which I didn't think I'd care about.

Now, if you have a family of seven or something? All bets are off. Probably want one full size fridge and one full size freezer. But for me the side by side is by far the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House