Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 64,906 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house built in 2005 and sold originally for $217,000 at a short sale of $135,000 and have been residing in it for 1 1/2 months now.

The problem I have is that for some reason the old homeowner's have not decided to redirect their mail to their new house. The next door neighbor has volunteered to accept their mail as they were very good neighbors and friends to them. However, they get SO MUCH mail I feel bad dumping them a box full of mail every Sunday inside their mailbox.

What should I do?

- Continue deliverying their mail to the neighbor?

- I go to the Post Office and have them do a cease on recieving their mail?

- Throw their mail away as if it was important to them they would have redirected it 1 1/2 months ago?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack View Post
I recently bought a house built in 2005 and sold originally for $217,000 at a short sale of $135,000 and have been residing in it for 1 1/2 months now.

The problem I have is that for some reason the old homeowner's have not decided to redirect their mail to their new house. The next door neighbor has volunteered to accept their mail as they were very good neighbors and friends to them. However, they get SO MUCH mail I feel bad dumping them a box full of mail every Sunday inside their mailbox.

What should I do?

- Throw their mail away as if it was important to them they would have redirected it 1 1/2 months ago?

Robert
I would bundle it up and put it in your mail box with a note to the postal service saying: MOVED WITH NO FORWARDING ADDRESS. Really, I would not give it to the neighbor... there is no telling what kind of liability you could find yourself in. Let the post office deal with it.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Exactly correct. It's the job of the mail carrier. Giving it to the neighbor is not only illegal for them, but for you. I deal with this everyday on my mail route. People move and don't put in a forwarding address. It's possible the mail carrier doesn't even know they moved.

BTW, if any of the old residents mail has "current resident" on it (such as a JC Penney catalog), don't put that back in the box. Just keep it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
The previous poster is right on. You need to put write "Not at this address" and place it in your mailbox along with a note to the mail carrier. Giving that mail to the neighbors is a bad idea! It is tampering with mail. If the above advice does not work, you need to go to the post office and let them know, in person.....along with the next batch of mail, that these people do not live at your address any longer. Let them know that you have already notified the mail carrier of this. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I had the same problem and told my mail carrier and he hasn't delivered one piece of their mail since.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Sounds like you all have some good mail carriers! I put in a forwarding order three times, and still had to call the postmaster at my old office TWICE to get my mail forwarded. In my case, I moved and wasn't getting mail, the new owners were yelling at me about it, and I could NOT get them to start forwarding my mail. It was really annoying. And I loved my old post office before that (the guys at the counter were AWSOME! There was this one who was always making everyone laugh.)

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Definitely don't give it to your neigbor.

Mark them "Return to Sender - Moved with No Forwarding Address"

Because the sender will pay return postage on each piece of mail, they will mark their files and quit sending to you.

You want to be sure that credit reporting agencies know that they are no longer residing at your address. Mistakes on credit reports can come from addresses.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Sounds like you all have some good mail carriers! I put in a forwarding order three times, and still had to call the postmaster at my old office TWICE to get my mail forwarded. In my case, I moved and wasn't getting mail, the new owners were yelling at me about it, and I could NOT get them to start forwarding my mail. It was really annoying. And I loved my old post office before that (the guys at the counter were AWSOME! There was this one who was always making everyone laugh.)
That's so sad to hear. Unfortunately, errors do occur and you can end up paying a big price for someone else's mistakes.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I still get bills for the people who lived here 20 years ago (go figure on that, yes 20 years) - I toss it back in the mailbox with MLNF in bright red. I don't care if it's returned or forwarded. Not my job, man.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM

286 posts, read 1,367,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeHack View Post

Robert
Aren't these options illegal since it's tampering with mail? I agree with everybody else, let the PO deal with it. It might be inconvenient, but don't get caught doing something illegal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I still get bills for the people who lived here 20 years ago (go figure on that, yes 20 years) - I toss it back in the mailbox with MLNF in bright red. I don't care if it's returned or forwarded. Not my job, man.
I've never seen MLNF - what's that stand for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House