Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,684 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone..
Our home is a split level with a partially finished basement but we have never installed heat down there.. Now we have decided to finish it out and use this as a Family Room and b/c there isn't heat down there we have had a few heating/plumbing companies come in and give us estimates on replacing the furnace with a high efficiency unit (ours is 23 yrs old) PLUS replace our 15 year old Water Heater which is beginning to leak around the pressure valve..
Here are the many opinions we received...
1st. Contractor:
said that he would install new duct work and push the air thru the top of the wall close of the ceiling with a 90% efficient furnace.. His cost: $ 8,000 not including a Water Heater..
2nd Contractor: said that he would need to replace ALL the existing duct work, install a 85% efficient furnace.. No mention of a new Water Heater... Total $ 7,000 - 10,000
3rd Contractor: said that he would replace the water heater with a wall unit, replace duct work to come thru the ceiling with a return near the floor, replace the A/C coil and a 95% efficiency funace.. His cost: $ 8,600
4th Contractor: said that he would replace the furnace with a 90% efficiency furnace, replace the water heater and install FHW radiators along 2 outside walls, repair the whole house humidifier for a total cost of
$ 5,600

Now my main question is this: Since we only need heat downstairs which would be more cost efficient on a monthly basis and the better way to go???? FHA for upstairs and FHW downstairs or FHA upstairs and downstairs.. BTW, A/C is not really needed downstairs in the summer b/c it's partially underground and it always stays cool..

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing your replies.. We need to have this done within the upcoming month..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I would advise a small electric hydronic system. If I were building a new house I would put in a natural gas fired hydronic system with base board radiators or in-floor coils.
If your basement is small just put an oil filled radiator style electric space heater in there.
Oh by the way welcome to the City-Data Forums.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,845 times
How is contractor 4 going to heat the water for the baseboard radiators?

A water heater could be installed that could heat both the domestic water and for the baseboard.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,684 times
Default Forced Hot Water PLUS Forced Hot Air

Yes I believe that that's the way he will be doing this.. He will run pipes from the furnace/water heater to heat the radiators in the open area of the soon to be family room..
My husband is concerned that the pipes will show in the 1 corner instead of being installed in the wall.. I told him that for 3,000 savings I'm not too concerned about a pipe considering the furniture will hide most of it anyways...

Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Hot water radiated heat is more comfortable, more efficient and healthier. Normally it costs more to instal.

Forced air is also pickier. If you block a return it will not work. If you block an outlet vent it will not work properly. Radiated heat has no problem if you cover a radiator nor does it need a return.

Pretty much everything about hot water heat is better except AC and the price. Since neitheris an issue for you, I would go with radiated heat.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If you're in the northeast you might want to consider coal (I know what you're thinking and it's not what you're thinking). Simple do it yourself installation alongside existing gas furnace with small stoker starts around $2250 and that could potentially heat most if not all of 2000 sq ft home.

Costs would rise for larger boilers with domestic hot water coils but any of these units will pay for themselves in time because of reduced fuel costs. I should note right now because NG is so low it's not that great of savings.

More here if you're interested:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ers-guide.html

Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,864 times
Hot water radiated heat is the best option. Also, forced air can be tricky, so be careful. In regards to your contractor options, getting new duct work should be a priority as this help improve the airflow and replacing the duct work now should prevent future problems. I only saw one contractor quote yo for a humidifier. Since they are doing all the other work, I would highly recommend it. We have one and it's great.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM

178 posts, read 540,592 times
Contractor #2 is not someone I would personally choose to work with. An 85% efficient furnace? Seriously? I've had old furnaces that can do better than that.

P.S. I'd also go for radiators if installed correctly. They're so much better than simple forced air, offering more lasting even warmth and fuel efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House