Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times

Advertisements

I read up a bit (Alan Muskat - Articles - Are Saltwater Pools Really Chlorine-Free?) plus a couple of other articles via google. Some articles agree with you -- and I was unaware -- that the target ppm is both pool types is 3ppm. However, there are some links that say saltwater pools are successful at or even below 0.5 ppm (http://islandsaltwater.com/index.php...bout_saltwater).
Btw, still confused about the "fresh water" comment about chlorinated pools - they certainly are not. Articles also talk about that in practice, saltwater pools tend to have less ups and downs and this is better as it produces less toxic chemicals.
For me, I can go to my saltwater pool and have no issues. When I go to pools (city etc), I tend to itch for at least a day. The original post asked about why - for me, and others, looks like there is less irritating chemical junk in saltwater pools, regardless of the ppm and the chloramines in each. This experience is by no means unique.

Last edited by calmdude; 08-21-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
I noticed in some houses there are salt water pools, why?

For the life of me I can not figure this out.

Thanks
A salt water system is really a misnomer. The pool will not be salty like ocean water, you can detect a trace of salt by taste and will notice some residue on your bathing suit as it dries, but that's about it. Chlorine is still the agent that controls bacteria and algae. The difference is that you don't require the pH buffers and never have to shock the pool, resulting in pool water that is definitely easier on your hair, skin and eyes. Salt water systems have a chlorine generator that, well, generates chlorine. Basically a small pump circulates the pool water through the generator, which is two opposing conductive surfaces that pass a current through the water as it circulates, effectively breaking the salt, which you simply pour into the generator, down into chlorine and sodium. The problem is that the generator is fairly fragile and very susceptible to corrosion if the salinity is too high. You're walking a very thin line with the proper salt balance; too little and your pool grows hair and legs, too much and the generator breaks down ($500). To maintain the pool in working / swimmable order requires daily attention to pool chemistry and most people aren't willing to pay that much attention to the pool. Also, if you have metal or slate (or any stone with high mineral content) in contact with the water, it will rust.

In summation, the upside is that you have a pool with "gentle" water that is inexpensive to maintain. The downside is that you have a big commitment to keep the pool inexpensive and if you go lax on your commitment, the pool will get expensive fast.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I read up a bit (Alan Muskat - Articles - Are Saltwater Pools Really Chlorine-Free?) plus a couple of other articles via google. Some articles agree with you -- and I was unaware -- that the target ppm is both pool types is 3ppm. However, there are some links that say saltwater pools are successful at or even below 0.5 ppm (Island Saltwater Pools - What's Different about Saltwater?).
Btw, still confused about the "fresh water" comment about chlorinated pools - they certainly are not. Articles also talk about that in practice, saltwater pools tend to have less ups and downs and this is better as it produces less toxic chemicals.
For me, I can go to my saltwater pool and have no issues. When I go to pools (city etc), I tend to itch for at least a day. The original post asked about why - for me, and others, looks like there is less irritating chemical junk in saltwater pools, regardless of the ppm and the chloramines in each. This experience is by no means unique.
In the context of swimming pools, freshwater simply means not the salt based chlorinating system. When I had a pool, I had to check the chemistry every day, usually add chlorine, HCL, algeacides, or Yellow-out, etc. $$$ I wish we had a salt system. The pool at my university was Bromine based. It is less of an irritant, more stable, but costs more.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
In the context of swimming pools, freshwater simply means not the salt based chlorinating system. .
OK - not arguing with the context. It is amusing that -rightly or wrongly - calling a pool with many chemicals "fresh water" -- even when saltwater pool may be "gentler" -- is akin to Microsoft Windows using the START button to switch the computer OFF.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 PM

50 posts, read 162,131 times
Regardless of whether you use liquid chlorine, unstabilized granular chlorine (calcium or lithium hypochlorite), stabilized chlorine (like trichlor tablets and dichlor shock), or a chlorine generator (salt system), the common denominator is hypochlorous acid, which is the sanitizing form of chlorine or "free chlorine". Same chemistry regimen takes over from there.

The average salinity requirement for a salt pool is 3000 to 4000 parts per million. The average salinity of the Gulf of Mexico is approximately 30,000 PPM.

That's all I have to say about that (said in a Forrest Gumpesque inflection).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
I have a salt chlorinator, check my pool water weekly, my pool is 4 years old and looks the same as it did brand new. I love the softness of the water.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Can someone tell me where to find a thorough article or good book on how to maintain these levels. I need specifics on the amount of muratic acid needed at what ph levelbetc. I have had a salt water pool for 4 years and love it, but would like to get better at maintenance instead of always having to over come an out of wack problem. The ph levels are the real booger so I need a writtenguide regarding amounts of the chmicals you mentioned.
Thanks so much!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleykins View Post
Can someone tell me where to find a thorough article or good book on how to maintain these levels. I need specifics on the amount of muratic acid needed at what ph levelbetc. I have had a salt water pool for 4 years and love it, but would like to get better at maintenance instead of always having to over come an out of wack problem. The ph levels are the real booger so I need a writtenguide regarding amounts of the chmicals you mentioned.
Thanks so much!
Go to Leslie's Pool Supply, they'll help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House