Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,288 times

Advertisements

Another 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Family Facing Foreclosure - Yahoo! TV Blog

With "Extreme Makeover" Homes, Some Get Foreclosure Instead of Happy Ending

Here we have it reported on yahoo. Extreme Makeover homes been forclose do to property tax increases, mainteneance and the homeowner using their house as collateral on business loans they can't pay back. I read upon receiving these makeover homes they are mortgage free according to Dr. Wofford a family of 8 who may be losing his home. All I can say is very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
I've read about this previously....that several of these homes fell into foreclosure or that the families couldn't handle the added cost of the home in terms of taxes and utilities.

It sucks to say it but being that it's true....well:

There is a reason some people are poor.

I've seen several of those shows before where the families were previously living in what looked like a shack that was about to fall down. If that's all they could afford on their income why would anyone think they could afford to upgrade to a $500k house???....even if it was free???? Heck...what they were paying on their mortgage before was probably less than what the new energy bills are going to be on the big house. The only way some of them could make it work for real is if they gave them jobs that would pay well enough to support the house.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
They need to format this show a little better. The families that are living is such deplorable conditions, now they get a spanking new huge home and cannot even afford the electric bill.

I do not understand why they have to make these homes so grand. Like every kid needs a music studio, a game room??. Top of the line appliances, central air.... Hello, people.....they couldn't even take care of the crap house they had before let alone something new, and I would like to know is how did their homes get to be so crappy???? You can still be poor, but clean. You can still have an outdated stove, but it works....
I don't buy the whole line on this show. Plus Ty is the most annoying'ist man on TV.
UGH !!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,972 times
From what i read and understood, the show pays the tax increase for 25 years... there is no mortgage for the work done.

People get into trouble because they take out NEW mortgages based on the newfound equity, spend that money like it's the lottery and can't make the payments... not the show's fault. perhaps, there should be some more counseling on how to handle the windfall.

As a TV producer myself, I can tell you the answer isn't to get less "needy" subjects or make the end result less 'extreme." There would be no point to doing the show.

The issue isn't the show as much as the way banks lent money... people who used their houses like ATMs got screwed. Take the number of foreclosures from this show and compare it to the national average and I'll bet you'll see that statistically, it's not that far off. Bad luck, bad planning, bad economy have created a LOT of foreclosures out there.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I hate that show. It is so over the top. Let me tell you, if I was in a desperate situation I would be happy for "anything" new. I really don't understand the monster houses they get. Most people don't live in those.

The whole show was based on a bad premise. They wanted to impress with the "extreme" when it would have been much better to just help people out of a bad situation and get them back on their feet again.

Think of all the families the show could have helped instead of helping only one family each time because the show and sponsors spent so much on that one family. It was a huge waste of money for one family at at a time.

Greed. Welcome to our America.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:43 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
We watched the first few episodes and watched as the stories got more and more sad. One week my husband said, "Geeze, next time the family will have to be dead or something to top that one."

Sure enough, next week, somebody was dead. We haven't watched since. I enjoy watching home renovations, seeing what can be done in a footprint, etc. But I don't like it when they try to go for emotional manipulation... yech. Reality TV -- shoot, most all TV -- I just don't get it.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
We watched the first few episodes and watched as the stories got more and more sad. One week my husband said, "Geeze, next time the family will have to be dead or something to top that one."

Sure enough, next week, somebody was dead. We haven't watched since. I enjoy watching home renovations, seeing what can be done in a footprint, etc. But I don't like it when they try to go for emotional manipulation... yech. Reality TV -- shoot, most all TV -- I just don't get it.
Hmmm, spinoff: Pimp My Casket!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

According to the articles they may be introducing financial advisors to the lucky families and the homes will be on smaller scales. I read in one article that these makeover homes dwarf every home in it surrounding which cause mix reaction with homeowners. One home has $30k in code violation which led to forclosure . Either the contractors and Producers didn't check the local codes or didn't care. Even then would you have to get a city permit and city inspectors looking for code violation of these homes going up ?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM

190 posts, read 242,371 times
We should be Happy when others are getting help..if all of you were faced with getting your house rebuilt You would definitely take it and run.. stop being jealous

Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1256 View Post
We should be Happy when others are getting help..if all of you were faced with getting your house rebuilt You would definitely take it and run.. stop being jealous
I think you may be missing the point hear, it's not that anyone is jealous of these homeowners it's the basis on which these families were put in. If they were barely making a living on their previous home with very little left over, why would the producers place these family in a grand home that's 2 to 3 times bigger than their existing home requiring more money in taxes (due to more sq/ft of living space), utilities and mainteneance without planning the home around the family budget. These families were set up for failure from the start.

Real talk I would take a rebuilt house anyday but I know my limits, I wouldn't let anyone, producers, wife, etc... put me in situation I cant afford to make a reality show....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House