Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayegray View Post
I have similar problem, but it just began today. The hot water has low pressure, and does not get very hot. Starts out with good pressure, then within seconds begins to slow down. Not sure WHAT this is! Can anyone help?
There is a restriction somewhere in the line. Pressure is able to build up over a little time, but can't keep up during usage.

Is it just hot, or cold too? First thing I would do is clean all of the aerators in the faucets. Then I would work my way back to the source.

I have an outdoor stove that heats my house, and hot water. There is a 3/4" copper pipe coiled inside the stove for a heat exchanger. As the cold water enters the stove, the minerals from my water are solidified in the pipe. Once a year I clean the coil with muriatic acid.

I know that it's time to clean when I get the exact same symptoms that you are having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayegray View Post
I have similar problem, but it just began today. The hot water has low pressure, and does not get very hot. Starts out with good pressure, then within seconds begins to slow down. Not sure WHAT this is! Can anyone help?
All faucets?
Same with cold water flows?

Pressure regulator in your water system? Any suspicions here?

How old is hot water tank?

What type of pipes? How old?

Ask neighbors if similar history.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
The OP's problem sounds like a heating element.( there are 2 )

We have replaced several times.

There is a reason hardware stores/plumbing places keep them stocked.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

How would degraded heating elements affect water pressure?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

The OP's problem is a very old post that was recycled by a new poster. He is having pressure problems.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,209 times
our water was hot and cold this morn.today we had a plumber out to up grade our bathroom fixtures. Water was turned off.. the plumbing redone. Now all we have is luke warm water in faucets in the house.. but hot water in fauset next to the water heater in the garage. Did something happen in the installation??????

Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,822 times
Default water isnt getting hot

I have the same problem . I have water but it isn't getting very hot. So I have been having to boil water to wash dishes.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse47 View Post
I have the same problem . I have water but it isn't getting very hot. So I have been having to boil water to wash dishes.

Electric? Heating element
Gas? T-stat

Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
If you have electric hot water -- if the bottom element fails, you get lukewarm water and not much of it. If the top element fails you get less hot water and slower recovery times. Usually it's the bottom that fails, because sediment builds up in the bottom and causes it to overheat.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
We have to sort of delicately juggle ours too. We heat utilizing water. So we can keep the hot water temperature (the dial on the hot water tank) low in summer and do dishes, laundry, showers with no problem.

But in winter some of the hot water goes for heat so we need to turn it up a little to accommodate everything...and watch our timing on dishwasher and later laundry when it gets hot again...or we turn it up still more and are able to use everything at will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House