Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,603,706 times

Advertisements

wondering if anyone has any ideas as to some of those shows where they fix up homes........Bought a real fixxer upper after living in the same home for 20 years......Involved story but we're looking for some ideas as to renovations.........Not to have them done for us but looking for ideas as how to accomplish them........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Bought a real fixxer upper after living in the same home for 20 years......
Involved story but we're looking for some ideas as to renovations.........
A good rule of thumb is that buying properties that need renovation work should be limited to the deeply wealthy
who can afford to hire the work done or to those already with the experience of carpentry and have the other building and design skills needed to be able to answer the what, why and how questions... Ya know?

hth

Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Might make sense to engage a good architect/engineer. They will be able to acomplish three important things for you:

Determine the stuctural integrity of the existing dwelling.

Suggest some ideas on how to move forward with structural and design elements based on their years of experience.

Oversight of the project as it moves foward.

Renovating an old structure is WAY more costly these days than is buying an existing home which is move in ready. However, you get charm and other soft elements from on old fixer upper which just don't exist in modern construction.

Good luck. Make sure the bank account is well stocked, and that the mental reserves are deep. Behind every old wall is a challenge...and an opportunity!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,603,706 times
Default Challenge and opportunity.......I like that.......Best part is we own the home and can afford to work on it......

thanks but those did not help me find answers.....Thanks for your advice though.....

Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
What kind of renovations are we talking about? Structural repairs? Roof replacements? Energy upgrades? Kitchen/bath reno? Cosmetic items like flooring, paint, etc? The answer to your question requires more input on your end.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A good rule of thumb is that buying properties that need renovation work should be limited to the deeply wealthy
who can afford to hire the work done or to those already with the experience of carpentry and have the other building and design skills needed to be able to answer the what, why and how questions... Ya know?

hth
I was getting ready to disagree until I read this part. IMO it's best to start small - I've seen people get in way over their head by going in and tearing everything up without a plan for how to rebuild or an understanding of the order of operations they need to work in.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default What is the question???

Not sure if you are asking about "where to get ideas" or "how to get a TV show to renovate our house" or something else...

I generally am an advocate of buying homes that are priced to reflect their need for updating but when it comes to properties that need major repairs to the structure or infrastructure / systems you kinda need to have experience with getting estimates before you decide whether the scope of the work is something that you can handle financially and even from the disruption to your life.....

Quote:
wondering if anyone has any ideas as to some of those shows where they fix up homes........Bought a real fixxer upper after living in the same home for 20 years......Involved story but we're looking for some ideas as to renovations.........Not to have them done for us but looking for ideas as how to accomplish them........thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
I've read those do-it-yourself shows make more money for contractors than anyone who hires them from the start. Often people watch these half hour shows and think that don't look that hard, after all they did it all in one TV program, I can do this. They rip apart there bathroom and cold reality sets in how much work is really involved. Then they hire a contractor to Fix/finish what they started. My advise is to start small and see if you can handle that project before tackling something bigger.

I remodeled a small 1950's bathroom, ripped the walls down to the studs, plywood floor, but didn't touch the ceiling. Despite giving having a week off from work and someone to help me with the tile work, it took over a week to complete. I even pre-ordered all the parts I needed and had them ready to install.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
.........Not to have them done for us but looking for ideas as how to accomplish them........thanks
This appears to be a question on:

(a) resources, and
(b) actual work

Regarding (a): please do not limit your advice and knowledge pool to only what is available on HGTV. There are a few good ones -- I prefer Mike Holmes' shows and Scott McGivilry's. But remember, these are reality shows --there is a heck of a lot going on that they don't show us. Alot of it are shortcuts to show something raw transformed into a finished product within the 60-minute time limit. They can provide good ideas; but IMO, a person needs to have a fundamental understanding of home construction first.

There are some good websites, blogs, etc. with good information. If you search this forum, you should find some recommendations.

Regarding (b): So will you be doing all of the work and not hiring anything out? I assume then that you're quite a skillful all-around and just looking for design ideas? If so, as mentioned by Ted Bear, seek out an architect who can help with the space planning. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Everyone has to have a first house where they learn the needed skills. No one is born with such skills. You can acquire them.

Old House Jurnal is an execellent source of information. Neighbors with similar houses can provide information. Your locak histrical society can direct you to peopple who will give you ideas. Eve if your house is not that old, the issues are generally the same.

Those TV shows are not good sources of useful practical information. Besides, half of them basically ruin a house.

In what way do you want to "rennovate?" Do you want to restore a home, or replace period features with modern stuff that will look out of place and function poorly? If you intend to take an older home and remove al vestiges of charm or historic value, then you are financially better off finding or building a newer home that ha the old home "look" that you are seeking. If you butcher a historic home, it will cost a fortune and no one will want it and you will lose your tail financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House