Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 18,055 times

Advertisements

Hi - We really want to install a whole-house humidifier in our house, but the prices seem very high. Can anyone tell me what your experiences have been with cost and installation?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I know several people with newer homes that have whole-house humidifiers that don't do a very good job when the humidity is very low outside....3 of our friends have bought portable units for their upstairs landing or bedroom. Our house doesn't have one but we bought a very good one at Sears that sits on our landing (unseen from downstairs), is very quiet and does a very good job of keeping our story and a half home humidified at the proper level. I can't remember what we paid for it last year - I think around $100 or maybe a little more - 2 filters per season.

You might think about getting a good portable unit until you can decide which whole house unit to buy...we have the Kenmore Quiet Comfort...we need to fill it up with water 3 times every 24 hours - it shuts itself off when it is empty. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-22-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Lots of factors. The infiltration rate on your home makes a big difference into the amount of humidification you need. Also the amount of heating hours you'll need makes a big difference on if it's worth it or not. With the infiltration rate, you'll only be able to make your home so humid if the air inside is getting exchanged out too rapidly. What you need to do is tighten up your home. If it takes a blower door test to find out where your infiltration is then so be it.

Your needs can be calculated very accurately if you find a good contractor FYI.

Energy Savers: Blower Door Tests

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Where I live, to install the larger capacity whole house humidifiers seems to run from about $650 to $750. That includes the humidifier and installation. When I looked at just humidifier prices, it seems the smaller capacity ones were up to $90 cheaper than the larger ones, so from a parts perspective, I imagine those prices would be around the same $90 cheaper if I went with a smaller one.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Lots of factors. The infiltration rate on your home makes a big difference into the amount of humidification you need. Also the amount of heating hours you'll need makes a big difference on if it's worth it or not. With the infiltration rate, you'll only be able to make your home so humid if the air inside is getting exchanged out too rapidly. What you need to do is tighten up your home. If it takes a blower door test to find out where your infiltration is then so be it.

Your needs can be calculated very accurately if you find a good contractor FYI.

Energy Savers: Blower Door Tests
Basically what I was getting at was treat the ailment not the symptom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House